Talk

Advanced search

Are vertical radiators the answer?

(27 Posts)
Baalamooree Mon 19-Oct-15 13:36:25

I'm trying the find the most aesthetically pleasing yet efficient way of heating my living room.

At the moment there is a 1.75cm ugly radiator sitting along the wall earnest the hallway. It also happens to be the wall which my sofa sits against, which means moving the sofa forward in the evening whilst the heating is on to feel the benefits.

My living room looks very similar to this one so as you can see, space is at a premium. I had thought of moving the radiator under the bay but as shutters are too expensive I'm planning on putting curtains up and don't wish to lose any heat to the outside. I've also thought of the wall opposite the window but that has a smaller sofa and the door opens on to it.

Would you go for vertical radiators? It is the only solution I can think of but can't think where I would put them. I quite like the column radiators. Where would you put them?

wowfudge Mon 19-Oct-15 13:49:06

What's the window sill like? Ours juts out above the radiator so curtains in the bay reach the sill.

Baalamooree Mon 19-Oct-15 16:34:18

The window sill protrudes about 40mm from the wall. I would quite like floor length curtains so I guess that may mean no radiator under the window.

No wonder people opt for underfloor heating!

Hobbes8 Mon 19-Oct-15 16:43:00

I had a living room like this and the radiator was in the bay. It was such a small room it wasn't difficult to heat up, so it didn't seem to matter about lost heat.

Is there a fire in the fireplace?

namechangedtoday15 Mon 19-Oct-15 16:49:43

Would you consider blinds? I wouldn't have sill length curtains, just personal preference, agree that floor length look much better so with that space, I'd have the radiator underneath the bay window and roman blinds.

Having said that, we have the same set up as you although the bay is much wider - we have the radiator in the bay, a sofa in front of it, and floor length curtains! The room is 15 x 14 and the room still gets warm. Are you sure that the radiator is working properly (and doesn't need bleeding / replacing?)

You'd still have an issue with vertical radiators - there isn't a wall that jumps out as workable. I have seen vertical radiators in alcoves (which you have) but they seem to become quite dominating.

Catsgowoof Mon 19-Oct-15 17:13:20

I had a very similar room and put a vertical radiator in the alcove next to the fireplace and was pleased with it.

Baalamooree Mon 19-Oct-15 20:15:01

namechange I currently have blinds but curtains just seem cosier, also my blinds are falling apart and I really don't like cleaning them blush

I don't have a fire although the fireplace is an open chimney - maybe that's why the room takes an age to warm up. It is an enormous radiator which dominates the room but somehow the room feels either too hot or too cold. I figured a nice set of curtains will keep some of the heat in during the evenings.

I've seen the vertical radiators in the alcoves and quite like them but I have shelves in mine.

Ok, so it's either radiator where it is, perhaps a smaller one? Or, radiator under the bay. At least I could make a feature of it and perhaps buy a traditional column radiator...

wowfudge Mon 19-Oct-15 21:54:01

Nowt wrong with sill length curtains - looks fine. In fact our window sill is deep enough and at a height where you can actually sit on it. Floor length anything would look daft.

PigletJohn Mon 19-Oct-15 22:12:08

You could put a rad each side of the chimneybreast.

Wide, low radiators spread the heat more evenly in the room than tall narrow ones.

CaurnieBred Mon 19-Oct-15 22:14:55

Seal off your chimney for a start - we used a chimney balloon: www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009MYL5PO and it def helped.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Mon 19-Oct-15 22:22:16

Our sitting room is that layout and the radiator is on the left as you go in. Our door is hinged on the right so it doesn't open into the radiator. We have sofas in the same places you have.

A slightly bigger sofa on the hallway wall. Then a two seater one opposite the bay.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Mon 19-Oct-15 22:23:38

We also put a log burner in the fire place.

Could you rehang the door and then move the radiator to the wall opposite the bay? But not central, immediately as you come in?

Baalamooree Mon 19-Oct-15 23:22:10

wowfudge my sills are no where near impressive as yours. I can't sit on mine and sill length curtains would just highlight all their imperfections. Although, saying that, It may be helpful if anyone could provide pictures of both long and short?

pigletjohn do you mean on the chimney breast? The last owners decided that Victorian fireplaces were passé and built their own wider, ugly, faux brick version so I have nowhere to put it unless I knock the fireplace out!

whothefuck I had thought of the radiator placed in that position but my door is hinged to the left. Apart from that, your room layout is the same as mine right down to the sofas. I love the idea of a wood burner but always thought the living room was too small for one. I may have to rethink that - really would love a wood burner smile

Caurnie thank you. I'll have a look. Do you think that will stop the gale force wind like noises in the chimney?

Etak15 Mon 19-Oct-15 23:35:51

Our room similar we've got large curved bay and sills and radiator is a curved one in the bay we've got sill length curtains- left by previous owner but are heavy (probs Made to measure?) so they provide a bit of insulation, I have never had sill length before but they look ok and apparently the rules of curtain lengths is either sill length or to the floor and nothing Inbetween (according to dm anyway) we have a noisy windy fireplace too!

PigletJohn Tue 20-Oct-15 00:29:23

no, I mean in the recesses at either side of the chimney breast.

A shelf above each radiator will help to defect the rising warm air away from the wall so it mixes into the room.

PrimalLass Tue 20-Oct-15 07:30:16

Our room is like that and we have a column radiator behind the door.

Madelinehatter Tue 20-Oct-15 07:40:03

I don't understand the aversion to sill length curtains, still you could get long ones but have a roller blind and pull it out of the way during the day and down for privacy at night. You could just have the curtains to frame the window.

I did this in my old house.

PrimalLass Tue 20-Oct-15 08:17:46

I'm not keen on sill-length curtains. They just look odd.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 20-Oct-15 10:28:47

I have sill length ones. Photo attached. I worried for ages over sill length or longer. But the curtain rail I have is kind of recessed back behind the front edge of the sill so long ones wouldn't sit well.

PigletJohn Tue 20-Oct-15 10:57:41

Lots of people still have radiators under window. Makes sense if energy is free, or if you like birds and want to warm the sky, but not if you want long curtains.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 20-Oct-15 11:06:57

Our radiator was originally under the window. Dh moved it as he said it wasn't the most efficient place for it to be.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 20-Oct-15 11:08:11

Radiator now here. Which works well with room layout.

Baalamooree Tue 20-Oct-15 11:34:36

Now, radiators under windows - when I wanted to move one to an internal wall I was advised by the builder that it wouldn't be a good idea. I think he said something about damp?! I wasn't convinced but couldn't find supporting evidence one way or the other!

MummySparkle Tue 20-Oct-15 11:38:42

Out curtains are about 6 inches longer than the windowsill, means we can tuck them behind the radiator when we have the heating on, but they don't highlight the windowsill x

Etak15 Tue 20-Oct-15 12:21:49

I was sure that there was a reason for radiators under Windows quick googled revealed this:

We often get the question: why are radiators so commonly placed under windows? It seems counterproductive; surely hot air rises and is sent straight into the least insulated part of the room - makes no sense right?
It all comes down to historical building design practices and the reason why is rooted in solid physics. While today most windows are double glazed and therefore provide good insulation, traditional single glazed windows were particularly draughty. By placing a radiator on the other side of the room from the window, you would actually create a convection current which makes the room feel even draughtier. Whilst the hot air rises from the radiator, the cold air from the window sinks and makes its way along the floor towards the radiator, creating a cold draught where people are sitting.
By placing the radiator under the window this floor draught is directed upwards thanks to convection from the rising hot air, making the room feel warmer and providing a more even distribution of heat. Any draught current around the room will thus be warm air, not cold air.
Advances in double or even triple glazing means this practice is less important and in newer homes radiators can be placed anywhere in the room without the draught issues.
So there you have it, the answer is physics

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now