Talk

Advanced search

half way house

(9 Posts)
Kelly3452 Mon 19-Oct-15 01:12:31

Would you move to an area with a half way house for young offenders in next street? Up to now there has been no reported incidents from this house and its been there over a year?
Thoughts please?!

minimalistaspirati0ns Mon 19-Oct-15 01:22:13

How close?

lighteningirl Mon 19-Oct-15 07:32:38

No the area I lived happily in for twenty years was irrevocably changed after a similar place opened. Sadly once one opened another related one did five years on there was a cluster. Large increase in crime, street drinking and fighting.

Kelly3452 Mon 19-Oct-15 11:06:42

Pretty close. Over the back lane. Ive spoke to the management of the house and its not a residential house its more a bridge to a more permanent address.. They are supervised 7hrs a day. 6 month tenancy And the whole idea is for them to show they can live on their own and hold down a tenancy. If they prove that during their 6month stay there they are moved to a more permanent address x

Hufflepuffin Mon 19-Oct-15 18:03:04

Would you be able to find out what percentage "pass" over the 6 month thing? Might give you a view on the sort of behaviour you can expect.

filigree2015 Mon 19-Oct-15 19:22:58

If it helps... I had a friend who used to work with people with mental health issues. She told me there were houses like this absolutely everywhere in our (admittedly urban) borough, housing all sorts of people, and many are deliberately kept quiet for obvious reasons. The truth is there will always be ex-offenders and the like who need to stay in houses like these, and few people would want those houses near them if they could choose. But they have to go somewhere, and they do. I totally understand your anxiety but I don't think it's possible (unless I'm missing something) to guarantee there aren't any such houses in your close area. You'd probably be fine.

Kelly3452 Mon 19-Oct-15 20:31:17

Im not too concerned about it all to be honest.. But in kind of wanting to know if i should be and hear some people experiences. The way i see it, this people are being supervised and monitored. Their could be worse people without any supervision living a few doors down that no one is aware of! I could also buy a house only for one of these houses to open a few doors down without me having any control over it.

I dont really mind them being around, its just not what you would want ideally :-/

filigree2015 Mon 19-Oct-15 21:20:49

Well for what it's worth I think you're right to think about all the other possibilities - it gives some perspective. I became aware (although not through the friend i said about) that there was a house for convicted sex offenders on the road that was adjacent to ours. Not a very comfortable thought, but we never had any issues. If I'd found out it was next door to us I would have been freaked out though!

Kelly3452 Mon 19-Oct-15 22:42:08

Sex offenders would definitely make me feel worse especially as i have children. Young offenders i just see as troubled kids though and theres loads of them convicted or not x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now