Talk

Advanced search

Gurgling noise from bath when toilet flushed

(9 Posts)
PebbleTTC Sun 18-Oct-15 22:28:56

Hi all, last week we had a very bad smell in ensuite, dh wrapped tape around bend and that seemed to fix smell but now when we flush the toilet there is a gurgling noise coming from the bath in the main bathroom. Does anyone know why or how to fix

Littlefish Sun 18-Oct-15 22:32:51

Are you on mains sewers, or a septic tank?

Oblique27 Sun 18-Oct-15 22:52:57

If on septic tank (we are) that would indicate problems with the tank eg not draining properly requiring urgent investigation. Call your local experts.

PebbleTTC Sun 18-Oct-15 23:02:09

We live in a housing estate so I'm guessing mains

inmyshoos Mon 19-Oct-15 00:02:11

Sounds like a blocked drain to me. Are you careful about what you put down the loo?
When we had visitors who liked to flush tampons/towels/baby wipes down the loo we had problems!

PigletJohn Mon 19-Oct-15 09:20:07

yes probably a blockage, though if he a taped up an air admittance valve such as a Durgo on the top of the soil pipe, that might also cause it. A jammed AAV should be taken off and freed or replaced.

An en-suite bathroom might have been added after the house was built and could have sub-optimal drain runs and connections.

You haven't got a Saniflow, I hope?

specialsubject Mon 19-Oct-15 16:35:07

you don't KNOW whether you have a septic tank or not?

PebbleTTC Tue 20-Oct-15 12:43:15

Hi, only normal toilet waste would be flushed.

Piglet - no its not Saniflow and the house was all built same time. Think we will need to call plumber!!

Specialsubject - what is your problem with the fact I don't know? If you don't have anything useful to post then don't post.

fiorentina Tue 20-Oct-15 21:32:30

We had an issue with the Durgo and sewage smells until we sorted that. I think you would know if you have a septic tank as it affects the chemicals you can use in the toilet/bathroom.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: