Talk

Advanced search

we have decided we want an extension

(7 Posts)
Anaffaquine Sun 18-Oct-15 22:22:16

As the title states, we have decided we want an extension but don't know what to do next.
Contact our financial advisor about money or an architect?
We are pretty clueless. The house came with planning permission when we bought it. But with babies being born, sickness and bereavement the planning lapsed without us doing anything. We are now at a point where it seems a good idea. We have a £25000 bond about to mature and our mortgage is due for renewal in about 5 months.
We would like to alter the plans slightly as they aren't quite right for us.
Any advice would be gratefully received.

TurquoiseCat Sun 18-Oct-15 23:49:10

Ok. So... This info is from DH who worked in building control for many years. Here goes!

1. Look at your existing plans, and decide what you want. Make sure the rooms are fit for purpose (don't leave yourself three feet short for your furniture!). Draw your wanted plans on a photocopy of the old plans.

2. Get a plan drawer/architect to draw the plans properly. If the plans are what you want, don't let them change them!

3. Apply for planning permission - the plan drawer can do this, or you can do this yourself, the applications are all online.

4. Apply for building control. All online as well.

5. Get at least 3 different builders for quotes.

6. Choose your builder. Council building control have got leaflets in this. In short though, if it seems too cheap it is. If the builder can start next week, it's because no one wants to employ them. If you ring up building control for advice (we're thinking of using this builder, for example) and they don't say YES, don't use them - building control cannot say 'don't use that guy', but you can guarantee they will have seen previous work from them and if they have nothing positive to say you should read between the lines!

7. Don't pay any money up front. If you work out a schedule where you pay a certain amount on completion of a certain stage, that's fine. But if they want money up front for no work, the chances are you'd get no work done. Final payment on sign off from building control.

8. Building control are happy to come out and advise at any time. If you're not sure of something, ask them!!

Good luck!

gingeroots Mon 19-Oct-15 11:05:11

planning portal is helpful www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions/miniguide

oh ,talk to your neighbours to reassure them.

PragmaticWench Mon 19-Oct-15 14:05:09

Don't forget that you may need a Party Wall agreement with any neighbours. Best to check if your plans would mean you need one, or more, as you would have to pay the costs rather than your neighbours.

Anaffaquine Mon 19-Oct-15 15:18:14

Thank you for this.
Our next door neighbour has shown us round their extension. Their house was identical to our previous to this.
Their extension is a much better layout than the plans we inherited.
I'm on friendly terms with all our neighbours. One of the reasons for us to extend not move is because we love our area and the people. We will let them know of our intentions.
Having seen what next door have done, I am excited about what we could achieve. Although, as my parents built a house from scratch and I therefore grew up in a building site, it is quite daunting at the same time. Just wish they were still around with advice. My dad could have easily built our extension.

sweetheart Mon 19-Oct-15 15:25:38

Finance wise a good rule of thumb is to allow £1400 per square meter for the cost of the extension.

AnnaBennet Fri 23-Oct-15 14:40:16

Hi!
When we decided to have a kitchen extension we also didn't know what to do smile In fact we just called to a building company and they helped us a lot. We used Werner and Werner Ltd. They have their own architect, who did all structural drawings, then they helped us with planning permissions and party-wall agreement and finally they started their work. So I would definitely recommend them. Good design, professionally done job, great finish touches and everything was done on time!
Good luck!
This is their website: www.wernerandwerner.co.uk/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now