Talk

Advanced search

cost of renovation

(6 Posts)
inmyshoos Sat 17-Oct-15 11:53:53

Anyone have any idea of cost to completely renovate a 4 bed cottage?

At first glance it will need
rewired
damp proof course
re plastering in most rooms if not all
new windows (spoke to joiner who thought 15k for these)
woodworm treatment

Anyone able to come up with a ballpark figure? I LOVE the cottage!!! grin

WhatKatyDidnt Sat 17-Oct-15 12:25:17

New bathroom and kitchen? How's the roof?

foolonthehill Sat 17-Oct-15 18:54:28

last house we renovated was 3 bed terrace made into 4 bed with ensuite, kitchen/bathrooms/roof /rewire/replumb (10 years ago)

total cost was £150 000, including a large amount of concrete poured under the house into an unforseen cavern where the foundations might have been!

Your biggest problem will be estimating labour..costs are high and low depending on the amount of local development that is going on...scarcity value and all that.

inceywinceypider Sun 18-Oct-15 21:28:12

It will all depend where you live, we paid for a presale quote from a fab builder. Our large 3 bed semi in London was £2500 for rewire, I think £5000 ish for complete reskim (and rebuilding 2 ceilings) but would've have been closer to £10k to hack off plaster and redo. I'd check with someone who works with property from similar era RE DPC. We just restored ventilation so the house can breathe again

JonathanRolande Tue 20-Oct-15 14:29:57

£40,000-ish!

MrsFlorrick Tue 20-Oct-15 22:08:23

If you know how many square meters the cottage is you can estimate it fairly well.

If you're in the South East, for good quality you should count £1,300 psqm.

If you want standard/basic quality £1100 psqm

If you're in London more like £1,500 psqm.

And say you're in Wales then £900 psqm.

Higher quality (bespoke carpentry, high end bathrooms etc), the. From £1,800 psqm upwards.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: