Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do you know a house is worth the price?

(3 Posts)
MrsWhirling Fri 16-Oct-15 12:19:24

I know this isn't a straight forward question, but how do you know? We're looking at s house in the morning, which on paper is perfect. It has an oddity, in that for a sizeable house it has a tiny garden due to the shape of the plot. This is ok with us. When looking at what sold nearby, I saw that a similar house sold a year ago for £75,000 less. It's London, so I appreciate are rocketing but it seems a huge difference. Any advice would be appreciated x

Hollyoaksfan Fri 16-Oct-15 12:23:50

I would look around for similar properties and see what they are all up for. Here's a page that will tell you more.

www.investopedia.com/articles/mortgages-real-estate/08/fair-price-on-home.asp

JeffreySadsacIsUnwell Sun 18-Oct-15 20:10:44

Is it the same size house as the nearby one? Is it in the same condition? Eg in our road, two houses which would appear similar at first glance - from the outside and ground floor plan - sold for approx £400k difference. In fact, the more expensive one was slightly bigger footprint, had a loft conversion inc second bathroom (the smaller one was unconverted but too small a footprint to squeeze a bathroom on loft floor), had had a downstairs loo installed, and, crucially, had already been renovated to a high standard. The cheap one was a probate and skip clearance job, had no central heating, needed a new roof, rewiring, new plumbing, etc.

Whereabouts in London? Some areas still going up (eg Lewisham), some starting to come down (eg Balham, K&C...)

What % is 75k? If 75k on a £2.5m house, probably reasonable. If on a £250k one, probably less so. OTOH, if it's a £2.5m house it's probably in an area that's topping out due to stamp duty, if £250k, it's probably in an area where everyone's now looking because it's cheap!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now