Talk

Advanced search

Moving day: how will the packers pack?

(30 Posts)
etoiledemer Fri 16-Oct-15 09:58:22

We're completing our sale next week and using Pickfords to pack and move our stuff but not unpack. We live in a fairly small three-bed so it's all happening in one day.

Our current house was pristine when we moved in and I was always really grateful to our sellers for that and want to do the same for our buyers. Will I be able to clean around the packers? I'd like to think they will pack one room into the lorry and then move to the next room leaving me to clean the first room. Will it be like that or will me and my mop be in their way?

SurlyCue Fri 16-Oct-15 10:01:51

Cant you just tell them how you want it done? You're the client. You're paying. You say how it goes.

Dollyemi Fri 16-Oct-15 10:04:08

We haven't used Pickfords but have used a packing service twice when we've moved. It's worth every penny! We had one man wrapping and packing stuff in the kitchen and another upstairs putting clothes etc in the mobile wardrobes and another dismantling wardrobes and beds (I packed my smalls and sanitary towels myself as I didn't want them to see my hammocky bras etc!). Definitely hold off with the mop, they'll break their necks on a wet floor and be in and out to the lorry etc. You would be surprised how quickly three get a room emptied so just go in once each room is done. Good luck with the move

BreeVDKamp Fri 16-Oct-15 10:05:01

We didn't use that company but our packers packed 2 rooms at a time, so when the first 2 were done we could clean them, and so on. We were completing the next day so we had plenty of time to clean while still having the keys (we stayed overnight in the living room).

desperatelyseekingamovingdate Fri 16-Oct-15 10:10:16

We have just moved, the difference is they packed us the day before. They stacked all the boxes in one corner and i cleaned around them. The next day they packed the van room by room.

The house was surprisingly dirty, whilst i am not the best housewife it took me longer to clean than i anticipated - our last house was spotless when we moved in and i was so pleased. I spent 3 days cleaning this one,filthy buggers!

As above i would suggest you tell them that you want them to do one room at a time and then you can clean around them. Our guys were fab and did exactly as i asked, mind you for the cost i wouldnt have expected anything less!

etoiledemer Fri 16-Oct-15 10:11:20

Can I SurlyCue? I wouldn't expect my clients to tell me how to do my job and would have to charge them more if they asked me to do it in a way that was a less efficient use of my time.

IvyWall Fri 16-Oct-15 10:18:04

My advice would be try to clean as much as possible before you move. Eg wiping doors and skirting boards down, cleaning windows and window sills, deep clean bathrooms.

The on the day you will only need to vacuum and have a quick wipe over if necessary

AnnaMarlowe Fri 16-Oct-15 10:23:15

Just discuss how best to do it with the packers. It's not an unusual thing to do, they'll be able to suggest what works best.

etoiledemer Fri 16-Oct-15 10:28:14

Okay, thanks. All good advice.

SurlyCue Fri 16-Oct-15 10:57:46

I wouldn't expect my clients to tell me how to do my job and would have to charge them more if they asked me to do it in a way that was a less efficient use of my time.

Oh well thats your choice of course. I do the job the client wants. I also expect the job done how i want it done when I'm paying. Especially when its in my home.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 16-Oct-15 11:03:42

I don't agree SurlyCue they'll have done it for years and their method will be perfected and efficient.

Anyhow, OP, I'm pretty sure ours did one room at a time. They were super fast, so you need to be on the ball and jump in as they finish. It's bloody knackering and quite stressful. Especially if you then have to clean your new house as well if your vendors haven't extended the same courtesy.

Good luck.

DesertOrDessert Fri 16-Oct-15 11:11:14

We had two guys, and they worked seperatly, one up stairs and one downstairs. But all the furniture was staying, so it was only half a job, and nothing big or heavy to shift.

SurlyCue Fri 16-Oct-15 11:13:03

It does really matter, you are paying them to do the job how you want it done. If you want it done a specific way then you ask them, if they wont do it then dont hire them. Obviously much better to think of these things before actually booking them.

SurlyCue Fri 16-Oct-15 11:13:43

doesnt

LizardBreath Fri 16-Oct-15 11:22:35

We had pickfords-they were brilliant. Booked 3 of them, but another 2 turned up to help-they were so quick! I'd suggest you're best to leave them to it, I thought I'd be needed to help but I was totally in the way. Ours also split up in different rooms, I seem to remember they generally went top to bottom though so you may be able to follow that way.

etoiledemer Fri 16-Oct-15 11:37:32

Lizard, that's reassuring. Thanks very much.

Surly, I'm paying them to pack up my house into a lorry by 1pm on moving day. I have no idea how they will achieve that and that's why I'm paying for professionals to do the job for me. The purpose of my post was to see how things usually work in practice so I can plan accordingly.

SurlyCue Fri 16-Oct-15 11:50:57

Surly, I'm paying them to pack up my house into a lorry by 1pm on moving day

Fair enough if thats what youve paid for then thats what you'll get. You didnt mention a time frame in your OP. For future reference if you want it done a certain way then discuss with movers so they can account for it in your fee.

The purpose of my post was to see how things usually work in practice so I can plan accordingly.

and I answered based on my experience.

AnnaMarlowe Fri 16-Oct-15 12:04:14

etoile I really think you are worrying unnecessarily about this - it will be sorted in a 30 second conversation.

Call Pickfords and ask them in advance if it helps.

Clean everything you can clean the night before (bathrooms, oven, kitchen, windows etc) and then just clean behind them.

etoiledemer Fri 16-Oct-15 12:21:39

Worrying unnecessarily is my speciality Anna grin. Thanks for the reassurance though.

Surly, you seem a bit cross. Sorry if that was my doing. biscuit

SurlyCue Fri 16-Oct-15 12:30:07

grin i was actually wondering why you seemed so cross at my post. misinterpretation of tone on both sides? <munches biscuit>

etoiledemer Fri 16-Oct-15 12:52:15

smile

Ruhrpott Fri 16-Oct-15 23:51:45

I would start doing some deep cleaning now. You can clean the oven, the fridge, the dishwasher (if they are integrated and your leaving them), the windows, the bathroom and maybe wash the curtains if your leaving them.

When we moved I was amazed how long it took to clean and fill in holes and sand and paint over them (where lounge cupboards had been screwed to walls and some curtain rails we took). We were lucky we had both houses for three weeks but it was hard work cleaning and finishing one off while cleaning, unpacking and redecorating the other.

NotCitrus Sat 17-Oct-15 01:09:06

Will you have to set off at the same time as their van in order to get keys and let them in at the other end?
We had to follow within half an hour so had to leave some of the dirt that was only visible after the appliances and furniture were removed. If you already have keys to the new house or one person can go on ahead, that's great but if a chain would fall apart otherwise, don't fret too much.

Blu Sun 18-Oct-15 13:38:01

Are they not doing the packing into boxes the day before and then putting it all in the van the next morning?

Removal men move like lightening, and they know how to pack the van so it all goes in. Thy will have given a quote based on a process and a van size based on their method.

It won't be an issue, really, keep out of their way, have a quick whip round as they empty a room. They will set off and have their lunch close to the new house, probably, waiting for you to turn up with the keys. often quite a wait around, waiting for all the solicitors to confirm that completion has taken place - loads of time for cleaning. Especially if you let the removal men get on with what they do best as fast as they can do it without interference.

I have sold and bought 4 times, and marvel at the way the removal men do it.

Blu Sun 18-Oct-15 13:44:23

"When we moved I was amazed how long it took to clean and fill in holes and sand and paint over them (where lounge cupboards had been screwed to walls and some curtain rails we took). "

Wow- never that far! Nor had that even in the cleanest of houses that was left for us. But you know what is going to be left etc, and so know where there will be holes.

I have always known the removal men pack the van by about 11, then we clean, drop off keys, go to new house and to a cafe for lunch, waiting for the confirmation of exchange to come through and get going in the new house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now