Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Beckenham info/opinions please!

(18 Posts)
Feellikerubbish Wed 14-Oct-15 11:28:39

We are a family of 4 living in East London and seriously considering moving to Beckenham. Largely because of Langley boys and girls and also we have visited many other areas and Beckenham seems lovely.

It is a very big move to start all over again and although we've spent time at kelsey park and around the high street, we think it is very important to hear from others who have more experience of the area.

Most people we have encountered seem really lovely. But there has been the occasional quick look of surprise as my other half has a slight cockney accent!

Can anyone tell me honestly what the area is like? We are looking at houses near Langley, is there a community feel around that area? What are the local people like? Are there many places for children like playgrounds, swimming clubs, karate clubs etc? How bad is crime? Or any other information which could help us make our decision.

Thank you

silversixpence Wed 14-Oct-15 18:54:32

We live in Penge (one street from being in Beckenham) and it is a lovely place to live for families. Local schools are mostly good, there are lots of extracurricular activities. There are 3 great parks within 10 mins drive for us. The Langley catchment is extremely small and shrinking as new developments are built! That said the catchment area is a pretty quiet area which is desirable in itself. However you would need around 700k+ to afford a family house in the area and there is not much around (we are looking!). Happy to answer any other questions.

skippy67 Wed 14-Oct-15 20:25:24

I think you're imagining that anyone was surprised by your partner's accent. Beckenham is full of people who've moved there from all over London, and beyond! My dh was born and bred in Beckenham and his accent is more "cockney" than mine!(Hackney born)

skippy67 Wed 14-Oct-15 20:28:55

Forgot to add Beckenham is a nice area, catchment for the Langley schools is tiny though.

NationMcKinley Wed 14-Oct-15 20:35:09

I know Beckenham very well. It's a great area with lots going on and a high street that still has plenty of independent shops and restaurants (and fab charity shops!) The Langley Schools are locally renowned as being excellent but as previous posters have said, the catchment (particularly for the boys) is tiny. There's also a big new executive type development currently being built on Langley's doorsteps which will doubtless shrink the catchments even further. I have heard that there are plans to build a new secondary in the area as Beckenham isn't very well served for state secondaries so that might be worth looking out for?

That said, I do like it around Beckenham: Kelsey is great as is Beckenham Place Park. Your other half's accent wouldn't be unusual so don't worry on that count! smile

NationMcKinley Wed 14-Oct-15 20:36:43

PS have a look on fb as there's loads of local parenting sites for Beckenham, West Wickham, Shirley etc

dontcallmelen Wed 14-Oct-15 21:14:45

Hi echo pp Beckenham is lovely as mentioned really good parks/high street lots going on for children, really good leisure centre/swimming pool, not a high crime rate area, feels very safe & have never encountered any negative response to my 'sarf London twang’
Langley catchment area is small, new secondary is rumoured to be on the cards fairly soon, sure someone else will come along to confirm this, my dc are way past school age.
Happy to answer any questions.

meadowquark Wed 14-Oct-15 21:33:36

I am in the outskirts of Beckenham. Shirley in fact, and in a catchment of Langley (so far). I do not see that the catchment is shrinking, it has stayed 1.1 miles stable for the last few years, but of course new developments put this at risk. I moved from South Norwood. It is nice, quiet and very suburban if that is your cup of tea. A bit too quiet for my liking, but if you ask anyone they will say "it is nice". Hayes train line is not frequent, so I drive to Croydon train line, but I do not know if you have to commute.

I did not have big budget so I have bought a cheap (for the area) non traditional built house. My aim is to stay through secondaries and then move somewhere less suburban. If you stayed in Beckenham town or towards Penge, there is enough of buzz in my opinion, but if you want to be in Langley catchment then you will be looking at quiet areas.

I just wonder if there is an adequate to Beckenham nearer to where you are, in East London?

Boredofthinkingofnewnames Wed 14-Oct-15 21:43:12

I love Beckenham. Be aware though that the catchment is tiny for the Langley schools and you'll probably end up actually living more in Eden Park / West Wickham than actually Beckenham to get into the schools. All nice areas though and near enough to Beck for parks, cafés, restaurants etc.

Boredofthinkingofnewnames Wed 14-Oct-15 21:45:18

Oh and yes, the new school is opening in 2016 to year 7 on a temp site at (I think) Ravenswood school before it moves to Beckenham. They are using Kent House as the measuring point for admissions for next year so they must be looking at a site around there.

GoodSouls Wed 14-Oct-15 21:55:59

I live very close to Beckenham and love it. It's a very friendly, family oriented town and has a great high street with all essential shops there.

As hard as it is maybe try not to get too hung up on The Langley schools, people are obsessed and the catchment is tiny so unless you can afford to buy very close you could be disappointed.

There is a new school starting next year, they have just had an open evening I think it's called The Beckenham Academy. There are Beckenham Facebook pages as well as the excellent Penge Tourist Board page which is fabulous for local knowledge.

Hope it all goes well, come join us, it's lovely here!!!smile

silversixpence Wed 14-Oct-15 22:26:25

Penge is a great area, it's friendly and has a great cultural scene. It tends to be looked down upon by Beckenham/Bromley people but I actually think it is a more interesting vibrant place to live. Worth considering if you think you will miss being in East London.

dontcallmelen Wed 14-Oct-15 22:37:57

Yy to penge as Silver has said, it is very friendly & the Goldsmiths pub has been re-furbished, has live music good food, also the Alexandra garden centre & Alexandra park is lovely.

nancy75 Wed 14-Oct-15 22:41:01

What secondary school do you get from penge? It won't be Langley boys or girls?

silversixpence Wed 14-Oct-15 22:45:35

Girls go to the Cator School (might have another name I'm not too sure) and boys tend to go to Harris Beckenham or Crystal palace or to Forest Hill Boys.

NationMcKinley Thu 15-Oct-15 06:38:45

Yes, Penge is really nice too as are Addiscombe and Anerley. What sort of area / house are you after? If you want quiet surburbia with woods etc then Shirley is great. Transport not as good though as it doesn't have its own station. West Wickham is a really nice area with a station, high street, parks etc but is quite £££.

Lasvegas Fri 23-Oct-15 11:56:18

I moved to beckenham from nappy valley about 10 years ago. i hate the commute. The area is good. Boring and suburban but safe. Langley school I love but the area where it is is not beckenham high streeet. Catchment is a big factor in getting in. feel free to PM me.

Openup41 Fri 23-Oct-15 12:01:10

I would love to live in Beckenham. Clean streets, pretty houses, good schools, little or no anti-social behaviour. envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now