Kitchen walls dilemma!

(14 Posts)
Mum2KSS Tue 13-Oct-15 10:23:19

Hi all - we are currently having a new extension built which includes a new kitchen/dining. The size will be 5.6m wide and 4.7m deep. I am planning on cream gloss cabinets and brown granite with gunmetal cooker and fridge. The dilemma I have is, my fantasy kitchen has matching granite along the main wall as a backboard and splashback which in my head looks amazing, I have seen a few pics on houzz and it does look good i think. others have said it might look a bit too much and instead i should have the upstand and splashback in granite and then maybe paint or tile. I hate tiles in kitchen and don't want to be scrubbing grout, also if i did go for paint, i would want it to be a neutral colour like maybe cream or latte. Its a huge decision as this is our forever house (God willing!) and I don't want to make any mistakes - any thoughts? We went to see a kitchen designer at the Grand Designs show on sunday and she suggested maybe an aubergine glass splashback and backboards...the look i am going for is elegance rather than funky though so that doesn't sound right to me...help!!

OnePlanOnHouzz Tue 13-Oct-15 13:59:05

Go with what YOU want as its YOUR kitchen smile

Guidance for safety stuff is obviously well worth listening to - but when it comes to finishes and the look you like - go with your gut or you will wish you had every time you see the compromise !

Mum2KSS Tue 13-Oct-15 15:54:59

Thanks OnePlan I need to trust my instinct and go for it now - just hope the quote doesn't blow the dream out of the water!

TheUnwillingNarcheska Tue 13-Oct-15 17:03:24

Do it how you want to do it, don't be influenced by what others are doing.

If the backboard and splashback are too expensive then you can just do the upstand and splashback.

But my thoughts are, don't skimp on what you want. You will regret it long term. Work out what you won't compromise on and prioritise that then work on what you will compromise on. Hence why I am just about to tile my kitchen 2 years after the kitchen extension was finished grin the tiling had to wait as I needed a new car!

Mum2KSS Thu 11-Aug-16 15:33:47

Followed your advice and listened to my heart...

TA DA !!!

YelloDraw Thu 11-Aug-16 15:36:21

WOW I love that

Bigbongos123 Thu 11-Aug-16 16:06:46

Love it!

Mum2KSS Thu 11-Aug-16 17:32:31

thanks Yello and Big I'm really chuffed with it smile

wowfudge Thu 11-Aug-16 18:18:56

Looks great! Where are the joins in the splashback, i.e. how often is there a join please? Soon to be planning our new kitchen!

PigletJohn Thu 11-Aug-16 18:52:54

how did they cut it for the electrical sockets?

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 11-Aug-16 19:35:03

Yay !!! Looks amazeballs!!!

Mum2KSS Thu 11-Aug-16 21:49:54

Joins are very good - only between splash back and the rest of the wall

Mum2KSS Thu 11-Aug-16 21:51:48

piglet they made a template and cut the sockets out in their workshop - we used a local stonemason

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Thu 11-Aug-16 21:57:38

Wow!! I love it!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now