Outside of house style matching inside

(26 Posts)
dynevoran Wed 30-Sep-15 09:35:12

I'm looking to move. We need an extra bedroom and want to be nearer the station as its a long walk for dp at the moment.

My heart is set on getting a Victorian house near the tube and doing a loft conversion and side return and making a house where modern meets period. I want to make something really statement with glass box window seats and vivid geometric tiled bathrooms etc...

But pricewise it's a lot of money for still not a big square footage. And would end up with an extra bedroom but less living space than my current 1930s extended mid terrace, and probably a tiny garden.

My dp loves this house (link on next post) which gives a lot of space and is near the mainline station but is not what I wanted visually. And I know you rarely see the outside of your house but would it look silly to make it really modern and a real statement design wise...And then have a very un-bold exterior? A bit try hard?

I'm not sure if I have articulated my dilemma that well!

dynevoran Wed 30-Sep-15 09:36:04

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54951458.html#_full-description

Wuffleflump Wed 30-Sep-15 10:00:20

It's certainly possible to mix old and new styles.

See barn conversion www.dezeen.com/2014/01/29/cat-hill-barn-conversion-yorkshire-snook-architects/

Oxford www.dezeen.com/2015/09/29/delvendahl-martin-architects-victorian-semi-detached-house-extension-oxford/

However both these examples do incorporate some of the modernity into the exterior. Still, I don't think there's a problem with different style for inside and outside myself.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Wed 30-Sep-15 10:06:17

I love that house OP! I don't see a problem with modernising the interior but not the exterior. Go for it!

CityDweller Wed 30-Sep-15 10:25:44

I don't think it's a problem having a modern interior in an older house. However, with the house you linked the main problem for me would be the very not modern windows - that faux leaded look. Expensive to change and would potentially counteract interior design?

SoupDragon Wed 30-Sep-15 10:40:33

TBh, I think it is a bit daft to sacrifice needs space for the exterior look of a property. The linked house isn't an ugly house by any means and has character added by the bay windows (although the glazing is ugly!).

I think that type of house does lend itself to a modern interior and would look fine. There are probably things you can do to spice up the exterior anyway.

wowfudge Wed 30-Sep-15 11:22:47

I bet the leaded Windows reflect the 30s originals - lots of houses of that period had borrowed period features like that and mock Tudor render and woodwork. It looks like a great house on a very good sized plot.

limesoda Wed 30-Sep-15 12:34:31

It less about the outside matching the inside for me (the right architect can make anything happen) and more about buying a house I do not find attractive outside. I'm just not sure I could do it. I wanted a Victorian terrace, settled for a fairly standard 30s semi, but one that I find attactive outside.

plantsitter Wed 30-Sep-15 12:38:55

Depends if you have kids, how many, and if you've finished having them. I was all for Victorian over space when we moved but now the kids are bigger I wish I'd gone fir lovely space!!

I think old and modern can be really nice however and is perfectly reasonable - shows off different period styles later on.

PrimalLass Wed 30-Sep-15 12:40:47

I wouldn't buy a house with leaded windows (claustrophobic) so it would be a NO straight away for me.

PrimalLass Wed 30-Sep-15 12:42:24

Or I would budget to remove them.

PrimalLass Wed 30-Sep-15 12:44:34

What about this one?

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36564072.html

RingDownRingUp Wed 30-Sep-15 12:48:54

I think the linked house would look nice if you replaced the windows

SoupDragon Wed 30-Sep-15 13:11:15

I think what makes it look less attractive is not actually the windows (which a large proportion in the street seem to have) but the awkward extension between the house and garage.

dynevoran Wed 30-Sep-15 13:41:07

primal I like that one too but it keeps coming on and off the market so I'm reluctant to get involved sadly.

Re the Windows we would have around 60k left to knock kitchen dining room and conservatory togetther and do Windows etc...So that would be fixable. And in due course we could fund more works like loft.

I think it would look lovely painted white but I think it would make us very unpopular new neighbours if we did something like that.

I really love the space inside though And the garden is beautiful.

CityDweller Wed 30-Sep-15 14:31:24

I think if you love the inside space and the garden then the outside becomes a non-issue. Firstly, it's not that ugly (or indeed at all ugly) and secondly you just stop noticing it after a while, I think. But, but, but, for me the big deal would be the windows. They are very expensive to replace and I think the leaded effect would really undermine a lot of your interior plans. My mum lives in a beautiful barn conversion, which they have spent a lot of time and love updating from its original dark-wood tutor-style interior to something far more fresh and modern (glass staircase, oak floors, white walls, etc). It all looks fab, apart from the bloody faux tudor leaded windows downstairs. Completely out of keeping with the rest of their style and makes it very dark. But, they can't justify the cost of changing them as it's so expensive...

CityDweller Wed 30-Sep-15 14:34:28

Also, that house is very bland inside - what are your thoughts for what you'd do to it to achieve the 'statement modern' look you like? You don't have much to work with in terms of features, etc. As often what makes the modern remodels of Victorian/ Edwardian houses work so well is the contrast of the modern interior design and the original features/ period feel (if that makes any sense?)

MerryMarigold Wed 30-Sep-15 14:43:50

I used to have a Victorian terrace and did that v modern / traditional look. We now have a horrid 1960's house but it has been nicely extended, tons of space. I'm being used to it. Slowly. It's harder because the trad/ sleek look is fairly easy to achieve. Take it on as a challenge!! If you want vic terrace, I would look in forest gate. Great area

Sunnyshores Wed 30-Sep-15 15:33:37

I think you could get an architect to make any house stunning, in its own way and in a way to fit in with the existing neighbourhood, however its not always going to be the house you had in your minds eye.

I love all sorts of properties, but my furniture, my messy style, my freerange kids and animals are all best suited to period farmhouses. I get enormous joy from having my dream home. I also love Georgian townhouses in ie Bath, but I know I couldnt live in one. Sensibly Id live in a modern house as period houses are a constant effort, but again - I couldnt.

We all have things we cant compromise on, if this is yours so be it. You cant spend £600k on a house you dont really like. Your heart should sing especially when you first move in smile

Flomple Wed 30-Sep-15 16:00:00

I thnk the v modern hidden behind an ordinary exterior can be stunning. A surprise hidden gem kind of thing. And IMO it looks like a nice house from the outside anyway, and not so generic that you expect to know the layout exactly before you walk in..

Changing the windows is straightforward. Not the cheapest job but clean and quick, factor it into your budget and you're laughing.

MerryMarigold Wed 30-Sep-15 16:29:52

My heart didn't sing! I think it depends on your budget. 600K won't get you that far even near London, let alone near a tube. Sometimes you need to be practical!

yomellamoHelly Wed 30-Sep-15 16:46:59

Lots of space to do something with. It has the same windows as ours (which I hate) and which I am hoping to gradually replace. Door looks like it should be at the front rather than to the side and I bet the conservatory is freezing / boiling depending on the time of year. But if you have the money to adapt it, it could be amazing. And no I don't think there's any problem with making it super-modern inside.

dynevoran Wed 30-Sep-15 18:05:55

www.housetohome.co.uk/house-tour/picture/take-a-look-round-this-extended-30s-semi/1

city i love the modern interior of this house on the link and think that would be what I would go for. Also a bathroom with these tiles:

So much period as a Victorian terrace but workable.

I've just seen so many houses and I think all things considered I am happy to compromise on distance to tube (but needs to be near overground) and exterior but not garden size and living space.

Thanks everyone for input...it has helped me see what I really want and I think you're all right that it can work as long as the bits that you see from the inside like Windows are fresh and modern.

dynevoran Wed 30-Sep-15 18:09:13

That should read not as much period as a Victorian terrace.

And yes merry its shocking how little 600k is buying us. We were in Walthamstow then moved to chingford for more space and I kind of wanted to move back but I think I'm just not prepared to sacrifice the space. Highams park seems like a good compromise. But will start to check forest gate as well...

CityDweller Wed 30-Sep-15 19:50:42

I like that house a lot. But, I think it partly works cos of the contrast between the uber modern decor/ furniture and the few period features (fireplace, that 1930s style door in the living room, staircase). Good inspiration!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now