Alternative to Solidor?

(10 Posts)
EarSlaps Tue 29-Sep-15 18:58:51

We're looking for a new front door and have had quotes from a couple of places for Solidor. We are after the Palermo with a long handle inside and out, a letterbox and a frosted panel either side.

The quotes from both came to just over £2,500 shock. One company hadn't used Solidor before and was shocked at the price.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a stylish, contemporary composite door that might come in a little bit cheaper? A lot of the brochures seem to be full of more traditional styles that wouldn't suit our house.

EarSlaps Tue 29-Sep-15 19:03:29

This picture shows the sort of thing I like, but it must be able to have a letterbox, I don't want to have an external box.

PigletJohn Tue 29-Sep-15 19:45:38

I would go for a wooden door and frame. At that price you could have solid hardwood with diamond-encrusted knobs.

EarSlaps Tue 29-Sep-15 20:12:13

grin

Would solid wood need lots of upkeep and repainting though? Really trying to avoid anything that will need too much work!

PigletJohn Tue 29-Sep-15 20:15:40

does it have any protection, such as a porch or canopy?

I haven't done my door in 20 years, it is beginning to look a bit dull on the outside.

EarSlaps Tue 29-Sep-15 20:47:28

No, no protection at all and it gets some pretty full on western sun. There is currently a 'delightful' traditional style, wood effect uPVC number there which has buckled and cracked (and needs to be shut about 3 times on a sunny day before it closes properly). Plus I'm in the South West where we get biblical amounts of rain at times. Hence my desire for something solid and low maintenance. But not £2,600 worth of solid...

EarSlaps Tue 29-Sep-15 20:48:54

Wouldn't be room to put a canopy on either.

cujo Tue 29-Sep-15 21:45:34

Have a look at endurance doors.

We were after one of Italia range too, but couldn't justify the cost.

We're getting one of the endurance ascent collection now, it has similar spec to solidor in terms of security and composition. I didn't want solid wood (too much work!) or upvc foam filled (not very solid) do a composite seemed right for us

I think their Bredon one is similar to what you are after, and you can upgrade to the pull handle and auto lock

Ours should be installed in the next few weeks so fingers crossed I still love it!

JeanSeberg Tue 29-Sep-15 21:48:39

I just had a solidor for £850 including fitting. Is your door larger than normal?

EarSlaps Tue 29-Sep-15 22:20:18

Good tip thanks cujo. I'll have a look into those.

Yes, Jean, we have two side panels so it is basically the width of two doors. Plus I think the Italia range are more expensive than others. And that long handle I like.

There's a house a few doors down that has a door almost exactly like the one we want but a different colour. Would they think I'm bonkers if I knock on the door and ask where they got it? They have a Porsche though so maybe they did spend £2600.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now