Doing a second viewing instead of estate agent

(9 Posts)
twolittleboysonetiredmum Sat 19-Sep-15 20:39:55

Hi
We have our first ever 2nd viewing tomorrow - the estate agents couldn't do it and the interested people asked if we could instead. It's a couple coming with their parents (first time buyer type properry so guessing they're first time buyers). I'm a bit nervous as not sure what to do! I'm thinking they really just want to look round again and see what their parents think. So shall I just welcome them in and say 'I'll just be pottering around, you look at everything you want and ask any questions when you like' (or something along those lines) or should I show them round? There are a few things about our house the estate agent might not have shown them - great (but full of crap) loft and an area we don't own but use for hanging out washing/small grass area of kids to play on. How should I point these out if I haven't shown them round? Basically I'm after advice about how sales like I should be!!

CityDweller Sat 19-Sep-15 21:32:06

All viewings for house we're in the process of buying were done by the vendors. First time, they showed us round. Subsequent viewings they did exactly as you propose (i.e. 'we'll be in the kitchen, take your time, ask if you have any questions'). I think it would have been weird for them to show us around on 2nd/further viewing as we already knew where everything was. As it was, we had a really lengthy chat at the end of the 2nd viewing as we had lots of questions about the house and the area.

In your case, once they've had plenty of time to look around on their own and are either saying goodbye or asking questions, you can mention the things you think the agents might have forgotten (e.g. 'did the agent show you the loft?' and 'not sure if the agent mentioned this, but there's this area outside, etc etc')

wowfudge Sat 19-Sep-15 21:36:57

Be prepared for them to ask you how much the bills are and things like that, where all the sockets are, etc, etc.

twolittleboysonetiredmum Sat 19-Sep-15 22:07:09

Thanks both - great point re bills etc

Roseandbee Sat 19-Sep-15 23:23:21

Maybe just ask them if they wont you to show them again. If you've not got a big house it might not be a good idea to to give them the tour, as 5 people in a tight space can be awkward & leave them with the impression theirs no space.
Be prepared for a lot of awkward questions, from my experience when they bring their parents the parents often think its their mission to try and catch you out somehow.
One convo i had went like this
"do you know that pipe on the outside of your house"
"no"
"whats it for?"
"erm i dont know what pipe you mean"
"well i doubt it complies with building regs"
"erm ok"
I ended up asking my plumber about it and i still don't know what it is but there were no building reg issues, which is unusual for my house as not much complies with building regs seeing as its 100 years old.
Although i have also had some parents that just felt a bit awkward and were terribly polite as well.

twolittleboysonetiredmum Sun 20-Sep-15 10:42:46

Eek I hadn't thought of overbearing parents!! I've written down bill costs etc and attempted to think about how not to phrase things eg we're moving as house too small. Nervous! Let's hope we get the quiet parent type and not people trying to catch me out

CityDweller Sun 20-Sep-15 18:44:59

That's a good point about awkward questions about why you're moving! Be prepared for those and have a very simple, straightforward answer and don't feel obliged to embellish it or give lots of detail. A simple 'we want a much larger house for our expanding family' is fine. Leave it at that.

Roseandbee Sun 20-Sep-15 19:11:49

How did it go? Fingers crossed for you!

twolittleboysonetiredmum Sun 20-Sep-15 21:42:45

Really well I think - they were here for ages and we talked about lots of things - area, schools, how the house might work for them room wise etc they seemed keen so I'm really hoping for an offer, everything crossed! No demanding parents though the dad did ask if the floors were concrete or not! Luckily I knew the answer smile I suspect that was a test as he didn't ask much afterwards!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now