Talk

Advanced search

Re-carpeting stairs, hallway, all bedrooms. Take out all the furniture??

(6 Posts)
Draylon Fri 11-Sep-15 09:20:15

4 bedroom estate house with original, 15 year old carpet. Downstairs is all wood/laminate.

We are thinking about replacing all the upstairs carpet in one go, same carpet. Apart from a family bathroom and our ensuite, there's nowhere to put a king, a double and a single bed, or a huge Expedit!-etc.

So my question is- how does a carpet layer go about carpeting a furnished house??

I am asking about clearing for ceiling skimming, too, on another thread!

TIA

SmellTheGlove Fri 11-Sep-15 11:21:03

I would move all mattresses if possible ie stack them against wall somewhere? Then the fitters should be able to work around the beds, at least put them on their sides anyway? And maybe empty expedit boxes, put boxes on kitchen counters, anywhere, then frames can be shifted more easily.

WankerDeAsalWipe Fri 11-Sep-15 11:27:10

We did similar though chose to do it at the same time as getting 2 bathrooms and a toilet replaced!! Most of downstairs was wood too but we did have two rooms which were carpeted.

What we did was do it over two days.

We moved all the stuff from two bedrooms into the other two - just left mattresses on the floor to sleep on and shifted them in the morning. And we moved all the stuff from one downstairs room into the other. Guys came on day one and did one downstairs room and 2 bedrooms and the bathroom lino. that night we shoved everything round the other way and they did the remain rooms and the upstairs hall and stairs - bloody hard work but well worth it!

WankerDeAsalWipe Fri 11-Sep-15 11:31:08

We also shoved and stacked as much as possible into the fitted wardrobes - if you want these carpeted too then that might be more of an issue - we just carpeted them from the scraps afterwards.

Just a wee tip, our fitter cut us some extra stair width strips from the left overs that can be refitted to cover any areas of heavy wear as required - he rolled these back into the carpet packing bags and stashed them up the loft. that way we can call him up at any point and he just needs to get out a piece and fit it in. each piece does about 4 or 5 stairs I think.

wowfudge Fri 11-Sep-15 11:36:41

They can work around beds - no need to move mattresses.

Draylon Fri 11-Sep-15 12:45:28

Thanks everyone! I am much the wiser now!

And some good tips!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now