wireless thermostat recommendations please?

(13 Posts)
movingonup2015 Wed 09-Sep-15 13:30:09

I am looking to get a wireless thermostat installed but there's so many out there I'm spoilt for choice!

I have looked into the shiny sparkly ones such as nest and hive but I don't really think they will benefit me very much I don't really need to heating to detect when i'm near the house or turn it off if I haven't moved for 4 hours or detect what heating temperature I like.

I just want one that I program to tell my boiler when the temperature falls below a certain temperature please turn the heating on.

I will be staying over my partners house a few nights a week so I want to also have a way to turn it off so that it doesn't kick in at all (only if the temps get so low that they are likely to knacker my boiler/pipes) without having to reprogram it all again when I turn it back on.

My boiler is a valiant ecotech and just has on/off or timed functions - I cant set the temperature that it kicks in at or anything like that.

any recommendations please??

kali43 Fri 11-Sep-15 12:28:45

Bumping as interested in something like this too

PigletJohn Fri 11-Sep-15 20:36:25

Honeywell top the market for programmable stats.

I prefer the CM907 which is wired, but the wired one is the CM927

Wired ones are less likely to go wrong.

PigletJohn Fri 11-Sep-15 20:40:50

the wireless one is the CM927

When you are going to be away, the "holiday" function leaves the temp at the minimum setting for the number of days you tell it, then it returns to your normal routine.

The minimum setting will protect your house against freezing.

MrsFrancisUnderwear Sat 12-Sep-15 00:07:21

We have the Heatmiser Neo. I can't compare it to anything else but it does the job well for us and I'd be lost without out now. Great to be able to put the heating on from wherever you are.

We were away last November and I kept an eye on what the temperature in the house was from 100s of miles away and actually didn't need to put any heating or hot water on. But I could of if I wanted to.

Laughingisbetter Sun 13-Sep-15 21:32:35

Hated having a wireless one. Slightest reason for it to lose connection with the twiddly bit by the boiler it would not reconnect...which meant it just left the heating on until you switched it all off and on again. In the meantime the heating would stay on, and on, and on as there was no thermostat telling it to go off - and the house would get to tropical status before you realised there had been a butterfly flapping it's wings some blip. Until we realised there was a problem DH & I could sometimes mutter about each other turning the heat up (which we hadn't) or come home to a sauna.

To cut it a bit shorter - go wired.

EldonAve Sun 13-Sep-15 21:39:07

We have had 3 drayton ones so would not recommend them
Our latest is a Horstmann HRFS1 which is fine

TheWildRumpyPumpus Sun 13-Sep-15 22:03:31

We have a Tado - works well for us and bills have been noticeably lower since we had it installed in both this house and our last one.

It detects when my phone or DH's is home and only switches heating on if either of us is. Can also over-ride settings from the comfort of the sofa using phone, iPad, tablet etc to control heating or hot water settings.

We looked at getting a Hive but the British Gas guy came out to install it and told us it was incompatible with our Worcester Bosch boiler which was pretty useless.

bowsaw Mon 14-Sep-15 08:14:17

have a CM927 that after a year or two lost the ability to show the correct temp, the program still appears to run fine, but rather than 20+ degrees showing it shows 2. Will have to replace as i dont think a tenant will accept it

movingonup2015 Mon 14-Sep-15 12:47:28

thankyou for all your replies I will look into all the above suggestions!

Electrolux2 Mon 14-Sep-15 12:57:37

A friend has the new British Gas Hive and I know someone else who had the older version. Both love them. Wish I could afford them!

bowsaw Mon 14-Sep-15 13:45:03

Im tempted with a Alphabet (AKA google) Nest system in my own home, but I think thats too nice to trust in the hands of tenants. If its silly expensive to replace the CM927 then it will be a wired one, no issue since the wireless was never moved any way when we lived there

wonkylegs Mon 14-Sep-15 13:48:11

We had a Honeywell wireless one for many years in old house and it was great. Not quite the right thing for this house so we have the wired Honeywell one now which again I'm happy with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now