Talk

Advanced search

Making sense of odd roofing quotes

(1 Post)
ThoseAwfulCurtains Sat 05-Sep-15 10:55:13

My lead valley is leaking. A year or so ago, I had 2 quotes to fix it. 1 was @£1500 and the other was @£850. The spec for the job was the same for both quotes so we went for the cheapest.

Turns out that they sealed the valley rather than do a full strip off and re-line so I asked for a revised quote/paperwork to reflect the work they'd actually done. I never heard from them again, despite chasing them so I could actually pay them! (I think they must have been subcontractors on a fiddle tbh).

So now my valley leaks again. I've had 2 more quotes from different people. @£1500 + vat from one company and @ £900 from a smaller company. Again, the job listed on the quotes is the same except that the larger company is using full scaffolding and the smaller has a tower.

It's such a difference in price for the same job and I wondered if any roofers/builders/people in the know could tell me why that is, please.

I think we'll go with the more expensive quote as they fixed our chimney a while back and did a very good job but I'm curious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now