Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bathroom tiles. Brick pattern or Linea?

(22 Posts)
MrsHooolie Sat 22-Aug-15 11:55:48

Hi,we are about to have the bathroom done and have chosen Attingham Seagrass tiles for our bathroom. I think they look good as brick style and the builder said he thinks lined up tiles look good.
The tiles are all slightly different so that's partly why I think brick might look better?
Any thoughts?

wafflyversatile Sat 22-Aug-15 12:01:23

Lined up is probably easier for the tiler! grin

Not sure really. In a way the lined up shows up the differences in colour more going by those pics. And as that's deliberate then maybe that's preferable. The brick layout seems more subtle. A smoother transition over the colours.

wowfudge Sat 22-Aug-15 12:17:37

MrsH we have just had our bathroom tiles in the Old White tiles in the same range, but I balked at the price in Topps.

Instead we got them direct from Johnsons, the manufacturers. They were less than £30psm including the standard delivery charge. Topps' list price is £53 although they have been on offer at 15% off. It was a huge saving.

The only difference is that the 40x15cm format is exclusive to Topps. The Savoy range from Johnsons is 30x10cm. Photo attached.

wowfudge Sat 22-Aug-15 12:18:24

As you can see, we went for brick bond.

MrsHooolie Sat 22-Aug-15 13:14:07

Ooh they look great! My heart lies with brick at the moment. I think they'll look good either way.
I bought them yesterday so will try and unsee your costs!

wafflyversatile Sat 22-Aug-15 13:29:42

Brick is what you want so ignore the builder! He's not living with it.

wowfudge Sat 22-Aug-15 13:31:50

I'm really pleased with them - compared with what we used to have, these are so lovely! The seagrass colour is beautiful.

wowfudge Sat 22-Aug-15 13:32:44

If you bought the tiles online you have a cooling off period so you can cancel and get a refund with no quibble. Just a thought.

OriKumi Sat 22-Aug-15 13:41:19

how big is the room?

general optical rules rules:
small tiles make rooms look smaller
brick pattern makes rooms look smaller
dark tiles make rooms look smaller
vertical makes room look taller
horizontal make the room look wider

AesopsMables Sat 22-Aug-15 15:50:51

Do consider the grout cleaning. Brick pattern makes it so much harder.

wowfudge Sat 22-Aug-15 17:16:32

The only grout cleaning that is likely to be needed will be in a shower or the shower area over a bath though.

PotteringAlong Sat 22-Aug-15 17:23:00

We have brick in the big family bathroom and linear in the small en suite!

MrsHooolie Sun 23-Aug-15 00:25:59

Hmmm still undecided despite all the posts. I think brick might look better as the tiles are all slightly different shades. If they were the same colour then inline might look better?
I have got a grout that isn't white,more a pale grey (can't remember the name...wine)!

wowfudge Sun 23-Aug-15 06:21:00

From the photos you've posted I don't think the linear design really works - not with that darker blue vertical strip. If it were pearly/iridescent it would look better. The seagrass is a lovely colour and reminds me of the tiling at Aldgate Tube Station.

MrsHooolie Sun 23-Aug-15 09:07:36

The dark blue strip is not happening but it's the only photo I could find with the tiles lined up.
I haven't been to Aldgate station for years.They look nice.

Roseandbee Sun 23-Aug-15 09:33:37

I'd def have brick, especially with those tiles as I think it blends the colour variation, where as lined up it maybe looks a little odd.
The tiles are lovely, Im going to have to have a look into them, i'm moving house & looking for inspiration, currently I have plain white ones in he same format & still really happy with them (my bathrooms small)

dietstartstomorrowok Sun 23-Aug-15 13:10:16

Grout protector spray from Topps - made a significant difference to us, then again, I went for white grout on white tiles!!!! Luckily I am OCD over cleaning <sad>

Oh and brick without a doubt....

Sunnyshores Sun 23-Aug-15 13:17:48

I brought the same old-white tiles for a rental property. I left the builder with strict instructions for brick pattern. Returning the next day he'd laid them straight!!! If it had been my own house I would have had him replace them as I've spent years imagining them that way.

Buuut.... now after much sobbing I do think they look better this way as the bathroom is very modern, minimal and clean lined.

thesundial123 Tue 28-Feb-17 13:53:37

Hi guys, has anyone had the savoy range in SAVO5A?

namechangedtoday15 Tue 28-Feb-17 14:01:39

Have a think about how the tiles will actually be laid (not just brick or linear, but how - if you decide you want linear, they will work). So if you're tiling the long wall behind the bath for instance which might be around 180cm, and your tiles are 30cm, then depending on the grout between the tiles, you might get 6 full tiles if you went with a linear format. If its say 160cm, you'd get 5 full tiles and then have 10cm left over (5cm either end - would maybe look odd in a linear format). Brick effect will look better I think where the sizes don't "match" the width of the tiles if you see what I mean.

Love the tiles wowfudge.

Rabbitmother Wed 01-Mar-17 08:34:43

We're looking at aluminium sliding doors for a new extension - in the SW London/Surrey area - does anyone have any recommendations please?

suzyrut Wed 01-Mar-17 11:49:34

I've just had my new ensuite tiled in the shower area only. They are square white tiles and after leaving instructions with the builder for brick bond after dropping dd at nursery came back to see that the tiler who had arrived in my absence was half way up one wall in a linear pattern.

I had him change them and am so glad I did, I would have constantly felt like they were wrong otherwise. Stick to your guns, you know what you want and in my experience as waffly said up thread builders tend to just recomment what is easier for them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now