Price to change oil central heating to gas

(7 Posts)
MooseyMoo Fri 21-Aug-15 13:40:53

Going to view a 1960s house that will need a bit of work to it. One of the things mentioned was that it is oil central heating. Has anyone changed from oil to gas and know what needs to be done? Or an idea of how much it would cost?

Thanks

specialsubject Fri 21-Aug-15 13:44:41

first, is there a mains gas pipe running nearby?

and while prices vary, currently oil is the cheapest form of heating.

www.nottenergy.com/energy_cost_comparison

do check the age of the boiler, though. They can go on forever but a new one will use a lot less oil.

MooseyMoo Fri 21-Aug-15 14:33:28

Thanks Special

Loumate666 Fri 21-Aug-15 14:50:35

I've just done this - cost was roughly:

- Install gas pipe - £1200 through Southern Gas Networks. They closed the road, dug down to find the main, put a 'mole' through to the house took 1/2 a day. It took them a week however to fill in the hole and reinstate the road and clear up
- Install meter - free through any gas supplier, I used Southern Electric
- Decommission oil tank - this was free but the 'cost' was that he took away the oil in the tank - about £200 worth. If you're in Sussex, I could recommend someone
- Cost of new boiler and installation - hard to say without knowing what it's running but could be in the £2k range

I'm slightly annoyed that since I chose to convert, the cost of oil has dropped like a brick but I would say that I'm glad that I've converted.

B

specialsubject Fri 21-Aug-15 15:08:04

further considerations - there's no difference in what happens in the house, it is just heating and hot water.

- oil boilers MUST have annual servicing. It is a good idea for gas but essential for oil. About £100 a time with the new nozzle.
- oil can be stolen although this doesn't happen that often.
- you need to keep an eye on the oil level whereas gas just turns up. BUT you can monitor oil prices and have some control over the price you buy at. Never set up a standing order, buy when the price is good.

MooseyMoo Fri 21-Aug-15 15:11:16

Thank you LouMate that's really helpful. We're with Southern Electric and SGN so could be similar cost. Did you get a Smart Meter?

Loumate666 Fri 21-Aug-15 19:22:41

I wasnt given a choice but I don't think so - a not very interesting piccie attached for info

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now