House we are buying

(4 Posts)
TobleroneBoo Tue 18-Aug-15 07:59:32

Has damp, crap roof ( flat and pitched) and needs replacement windows.

We upped our offer in a battle with another buyer. Current vendors only bought the house in January so I doubt they didn't know about any of this.
The choices are:
A) they do the work before we move in
B) they reduce the price of the property and we will deal with it when we get in

That's reasonable isn't it? Scared they will tell us to poke it and remarket but won't be bullied into buying a mess of a house. Feel like they are rubbing their hands together at palming this off to us without having to mention it confusedhmm

AgentProvocateur Tue 18-Aug-15 08:10:31

I'd remarket. It's obviously in demand if there was another buyer, and may be priced taking the damp and roof into consideration already.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Tue 18-Aug-15 08:17:04

If they priced it in with the asking price then they should have mentioned it when marketing.

But really it will come down to how much you want the house. You need to decide if you would want it with no price reduction/work done and go from there.

Roseandbee Tue 18-Aug-15 10:12:19

I think the old windows & flat roof would have been obvious when people viewed the house so i presume this is already reflected in the price.

The damp you may not have noticed, but damp comes up a lot in surveys and indeed if its an older property your talking about then I'd say the majority have some damp somewhere, its just the severity & cause you should be concerned with.

I think A is very unlikely to happen, you can try option B don't think they'd pull out of the sale just because you asked but be prepared for them to stand their ground

I presume you know about the issues via a survey? did you get a valuation with the survey? if thats less than you offered then you should defientely not pay higher than that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now