Talk

Advanced search

Disguising/Hiding Internal Stone Cladding

(8 Posts)
Bellyrub1980 Tue 18-Aug-15 07:07:15

We move into a new house very soon (yay!!).

The living room has some 70's style stone cladding around the fireplace and along the wall to create a TV station. It's very dark and takes up quite a big chunk of the room.

If we rip it out it will leave a gap in the pretty decent carpet, so we're wondering if there is a tried and tested way of hiding or disguising stone cladding.....?

Would simply painting it be an option??

Please inspire me!

Gatekeeper Tue 18-Aug-15 07:09:30

A friend of mine painted hers and in all honesty it looked far worse

Bellyrub1980 Tue 18-Aug-15 07:17:04

I had a feeling that would probably be the case. I think ripping it out might be the only option and just take the hit on a new carpet.

Does anyone have experience of ripping out stone cladding? To me it looks like a mixture of cladding (on the wall) and real stone bricks (jutting out to form the TV area) but it's hard to know for sure until we move in.

Any chance it might come back in fashion??? Lol!!

iwantgin Tue 18-Aug-15 07:17:30

We had it and eventually got it boarded over.

So much nicer looking.

Curiousrugbymum Tue 18-Aug-15 07:23:06

I had this in my first house all the way down one wall of a knocked through lounge/diner. It only took a day to knock it down and get it out into a skip. Gave much more room and flexibility on where to put furniture. I would forget the carpet and do it. As with all houses, you need to do things when you first move in or your quickly get used to it smile

Curiousrugbymum Tue 18-Aug-15 07:24:31

*you'll

MythicalKings Tue 18-Aug-15 07:24:55

There was some in our first house and it came off very easily. DH thought it would take days but it took a couple of hours. Replastered the next day.

TremoloGreen Tue 18-Aug-15 10:51:54

Rip it out - it will transform the room and you won't regret it. If you have to save up for a bit to afford the new carpet, there are worse things to live with. You can get good deals on carpets from online warehouses. Buy your own underlay too, the mark-up from places like Carpet Right is crazy. You will regret painting it, it'll just look shiny and even more monstrous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now