Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would this put you off buying?

(18 Posts)
inmyshoos Mon 17-Aug-15 14:02:15

We have decided to put house on market. We had started an extension but only the foundation is done. We will put a large car port up and use foundations as base. (was previously a car port there)
I want to get it on the market in next few weeks and so we wouldn't have finished the car port. I don't want to miss the better selling months. It wouldnt put me off as a buyer but would it put you off. It WILL be finished and so any buyer will get a lovely new car port, it just wont be in schedule or finished in the first month or two of being marketed.

Any thoughts?

TheOriginalWinkly Mon 17-Aug-15 14:05:23

I think it will probably look a mess in photos and people will be put off making offers in case they're left with open foundations and no car port, sorry.

Twitterqueen Mon 17-Aug-15 14:07:24

I agree I'm afraid. Building jobs that aren't done or finished properly just shout 'bodge!) to me - (even though I'm sure you're doing it properly!).

It's just the way it looks.

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Mon 17-Aug-15 14:07:34

I'd put off too, sorry. I'd worry that it wouldn't be finished, or that it would be done a bit hastily and shoddily and I'd be left with problems down the line

inmyshoos Mon 17-Aug-15 14:08:10

It won't be noticeable in pictures. We have already filled the foundations so all you can see is an area of hardstanding at the gable end of house. There is a third of an acre of garden area so it is only a tiny area in comparison. Still off putting?

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Mon 17-Aug-15 14:09:11

If you have planning permission for the extension, why don't you market it with this as a feature and do something (cover them over somehow?!) with the new foundations so that the new owners can use them for their own extension? if you put up a carport, the new owners might want to just take it down in order to extend - more hassle and expense...

Koala2 Mon 17-Aug-15 14:11:14

I would be put off too when I viewed the property, as I wouldn't know exactly what I was getting for my offer. I viewed a house recently that was mid way through a refurbishment, and although I liked the house I didn't offer because I had no way of knowing what the final finish would be like and therefore whether I would need to spend additional money on making the job good.

inmyshoos Mon 17-Aug-15 14:14:19

Foundations are finished and passed by building control. Will definitely market it as having planning for the 2 extra beds we were adding. However cottage is currently a 3 bed 2 bathroom utility room and large conservatory with an extra attic playroom/study/bedroom too. It is fairly spacious for an average family not sure many would want/need the extra rooms.

Katie2001 Mon 17-Aug-15 14:15:38

If a promise was in place to finish it and I really liked the house, it wouldn't put me off. I'd stick it on the market and see how you go, you can always take if off again if interest isn't good.

wowfudge Mon 17-Aug-15 14:17:10

Don't incur the costs of adding a car port. Just market it with the benefit of having pp for an extension. The fact that you have started the work means the clock isn't ticking on the validity of the pp.

inmyshoos Mon 17-Aug-15 14:17:36

Maybevwe should just leave it as hard standing. It is a nice car parking space! Car port would coat around 1k so if we can save that I would be pleased to say the least!!

inmyshoos Mon 17-Aug-15 14:18:20

typos sorry!!!

Mitzimaybe Mon 17-Aug-15 14:25:48

Any unfinished work would put me off. It may not be noticeable in photos but it would when viewing.

Hardstanding with PP for the extension (but no obligation to build it) would be far more attractive to me than a car port under construction.

Just out of interest, why are you moving rather than completing the extension? That's something buyers will want to know. You've gone to the trouble of getting PP and laying foundations, then suddenly decide to move = potential red flag for buyers.

Roseandbee Mon 17-Aug-15 14:44:33

I think leaving it as hard standing will be a good idea & just show people the quote and plans as an option they might want to pursue after they purchase. Id save yourself the hassle & cost unless you think it would add significant value to the property. If you think thats the case you'd really have to wait for it to be completed to add the value as you prob wont get it for a work in progress.

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Mon 17-Aug-15 14:56:17

Hardstanding with PP for the extension (but no obligation to build it) would be far more attractive to me than a car port under construction

Me too.
I'd also want to know why you were moving after going to the trouble of having plans drawn and permission granted.

eurochick Mon 17-Aug-15 17:19:29

I also agree - hard standing would be more appealing than a part built car port (don't really get the point of car ports anyway).

woodleydoodle Mon 17-Aug-15 17:53:05

I don't see the point of car ports and wouldn't want one.

inmyshoos Mon 17-Aug-15 18:23:26

Point of car port where we live is getting car out quicker in winter. We are remote highlands.

Moving because my Dad was going to build extension but he lives 4 hours away and has been stressing about it and I now know he feels it is too much for him. With this revelation I have realised how much older he is and I want to live near him. We have talked about moving for years so our house coming on the market wont be a surprise for the locals. Its a fab place to live otherwise we would have moved before now. Great schools and beautitul safe area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now