Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

please tell me what you think to this house

(14 Posts)
pud1 Mon 17-Aug-15 10:25:49

we are in the initial stages of looking to buy. not secured a mortgage as yet so i am just at the point of checking out rightmove.

i have come across this house that ticks all the boxes for space, location price.... but the kitchen has a glass roof. i have never seen anything like this before. does it matter? has any one got this sort of thing? what should i consider? i am not even at the stage of booking a viewing but i am just curious

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-47270054.html

wowfudge Mon 17-Aug-15 10:41:16

I knew which agent it was from the photos! They use their own professional photographer. It looks a lovely house - very well maintained and presented. The style of the kitchen is a bit busy for my taste and I would be concerned about how hot it gets in there in the sun with that huge expanse of glass roof. Depend whether it is tested to deal with solar glare or not.

wowfudge Mon 17-Aug-15 10:42:23

Depends whether it is treated to deal with solar glare

pud1 Mon 17-Aug-15 10:54:42

wowfudge - i totally agree with Keenans photos. they make me giggle. they are very good at taking photos of irrelevant crap like potted plants. photos 12 and 16 on link below being perfect examples

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49547921.html?premiumA=true

pud1 Mon 17-Aug-15 10:55:36

now i am thinking about it would steam not become a problem

SophiePen Mon 17-Aug-15 10:59:12

Eek. Well the kitchen is rather nice with its roof thing going on however it makes the rest of the room look very dark.

Also the other windows with their lattice lead-look effect are unpleasant.

It's obviously nice and big but no, not to my taste at all.

Sorry sad

mandy214 Mon 17-Aug-15 11:07:53

Interestingly, there is no floor plan. The bedrooms are all very small for a 3 bedroom house. The photo of the bed against the mirrored wardrobes shows how tight the space is. The size of the downstairs rooms is also small (lounge and dining room) for a family house.

I think the roof lantern, plus lots of windows, would make it a really hot room (my sister has something similar and despite blinds, is now installing air conditioning). I think the blinds on all the windows show that its a issue. And then adding cooking into the mix?! I think it looks lovely from the photos but when you look at the dimensions and how you would live in the house, I'd say no, I wouldn't buy it.

Roseandbee Mon 17-Aug-15 11:23:25

If your interested Id ask how deep the footings were, ie could they support the weight of a tiled roof, as this would make changing things easier & cheaper if it was a problem. I'd also do a search on the council website to see if they ever applied for planning for a full extension as maybe they did this style because a normal extension was not permitted. Personally I think it's be unwise to purchase the house if it turns out its something that cannot be changed as there's a good chance you will find it unpractical & beware of paying over the odds as a conservatory extension does not add the value a normal extension would & I think this set up will but a lot of people off.

Sunnyshores Mon 17-Aug-15 11:36:21

I think there are planning rules about kitchens/conservatories. Just vaguely recall something. Worth checking.

wowfudge Mon 17-Aug-15 11:40:13

I disagree about the bedroom sizes. They are fine - the third one is larger than you often find. That third bedroom looks to me as though the bed should be turned round 90 degrees - I bet they use the cleared area of the room for storing stuff, or ironing or something and I'm surprised Keenans have photographed it like that. The same EA very often doesn't have floor plans on their listings so I wouldn't read anything into the absence of one.

In the kitchen it was obviously a very bright, sunny day when the photos were taken - that means there is a lot of contrast between the glass roofed area and the interior section of the kitchen.

Yes, the big question mark would be that glass roof, but it's a house with lots of living accommodation. Next door has a rear extension with a pitched, tiled roof.

RedDaisyRed Mon 17-Aug-15 11:45:00

Very good value for its price wherever it is in the country to be honest.

SonjasSister Mon 17-Aug-15 14:17:10

I'd worry about the glass roof. Granted it does look lovely but as welk as overheating, unless it is v high quality (ie low emissivity glass, argon fill) double or preferably triple glazing it is going to be a massive heat loss area in winter, especially at night and yes, condensation seems v likely. And potential for leaks, especially if it heats/cools all the time?

Also privacy? One thing in a massive field all to yourself, but mightn't it be rather overlooked (winter evenings again - illuminated fish tank!)

I know I'm coming across very negative but at the very least I'd want to see a manufacturer's guarantee on the glazing energy performance, and to visit at night.

BecksTroll Mon 17-Aug-15 14:26:10

God, I would love to live in that house, it is gorgeous.

woodleydoodle Mon 17-Aug-15 18:04:35

Not at all to my taste. It'd be like cooking/sitting in a greenhouse. They do take good pics!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now