Talk

Advanced search

Lead painted window architraves - sheeting over?

(5 Posts)
Lemongeranium Mon 17-Aug-15 09:45:48

Hello,

The window architraves in my new house have lead paint on them, and we have a baby in the house. The lead paint has been painted over but I'm still very worried about them. (The windows themselves are uPVC.)

I was wondering if sheeting over them with new architraves would be a solution, so that the lead would be sealed in and wouldn't be disturbed by them being removed. The walls have been replastered before so the architraves don't stick out much at the moment.

There are a few rooms where they would be baby-biting-height and these are the ones I really want to address.

I would be very grateful if anyone has any knowledge or experience they could share. Many thanks.

PigletJohn Mon 17-Aug-15 09:54:37

Arcitraves are thinnish pieces of wood held on by nails, so you could pry them off and fit new.

Lemongeranium Mon 17-Aug-15 11:07:27

Thank you very much for your reply. Do you think that prying out the old architraves (and digging them out of the plaster) would be dangerous in terms of generating lead dust? Many thanks.

PigletJohn Mon 17-Aug-15 13:28:21

I don't think so. It may crack or flake a bit, but not fine dust. You clean up lead paint with a damp rag or damp kitchen roll, and a dustpan, to avoid scattering it, and put it in the bin.

Lemongeranium Tue 18-Aug-15 08:21:11

Thank you very much, PigletJohn.

I'm interested to hear anyone else's general experiences with lead paint in an old house and babies and children, if you'd like to share.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now