Unmortgageable house

(14 Posts)
beardeddragon174 Sun 16-Aug-15 16:22:57

Husband and I have had a ridiculous saga of buying/selling, started in Feb this year.

-first house we tried to buy, seller pulled out.
-then we got a survey on our house with actual lies on it. We disproved the lies to our buyers but they were scared and pulled out.
-second house we tried to buy, paid for the survey then got gazumped.
-second lot of buyers couldn't get a mortgage after gagging about for six weeks.
-Third house we tried to buy, got really far along. Survey came back to say that the big kitchen extension had faulty lints, the walls didn't meet building regs, and it was unmortgageable. Am I wrong to think the seller must have known??! So upset.
-We have found another house now and luckily our new buyers, ftbs, happy with survey, have said they will wait for us.

Someone please tell me that my run of bad luck has to end soon....?!!

Also, the unmortgageable house is back on the market 48 hours later... For more money!! I feel sorry for the next people. I feel this house property game is so unfair.

beardeddragon174 Sun 16-Aug-15 16:24:24

*faffing about

FishWithABicycle Sun 16-Aug-15 16:37:49

Good news that your ftb buyers will wait for you. Forget about the unmortgagable house - you won't be burned there. Sounds like you are now having a run of good luck - you have nice buyers, relatively low pressure (though check what the time limit is on their mortgage offer and work to have plenty of time before then) and have happily been rescued from buying a terrible house which had been cunningly disguised as nice. So be realistic about what you can buy and get out there, your new house is just waiting for you to find it.

Northernlurker Sun 16-Aug-15 16:43:39

Your buyers are responding to your honesty and clear commitment to moving - well done!

The unmortgageable house - I have a friend who had the same experience. The survey threw up horrendous and expensive issues which I feel sure the vendor knew about because my friend was NOT the first person to offer on it. They pulled out and it was back on the market in days. Waiting for some unfortunate with no plans for a full survey I guess

beardeddragon174 Sun 16-Aug-15 16:43:48

Thank you Fish. They only started with us on 4th July so hopefully we have some time. We have found somewhere lovely to go - just hope we end up with a short chain!!

We would be prepared to break the chain & go into rented to save our sale.

beardeddragon174 Sun 16-Aug-15 16:46:07

How awful Northern! I really feel for your friend. I hope your he/she now has their dream home.

Agents are awful aren't they! Knowing the problems yet still trying to sell it.

Northernlurker Sun 16-Aug-15 17:13:51

Yes they found something lovely. However I have just dug around on Rightmove and the unmortgageable house did indeed sell a year later for a sizeable chunk of cash. Poor buyers sad

travertine Sun 16-Aug-15 17:18:14

Cash buyers that knew what they were in for. No need to feel bad for them.

beardeddragon174 Sun 16-Aug-15 17:22:44

Glad to hear about your friend Northern. We have to cling to these stories of hope!

Legwarmersforboys Sun 16-Aug-15 18:00:28

Re the unmortgageable house, make sure the estate agent dealing with the sale knows & they will disclose the information to future buyers

www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/house-prices/10864514/Failed-property-survey-Now-sellers-must-disclose-all.html

beardeddragon174 Sun 16-Aug-15 22:13:52

Thanks legwarmers! I did tell them, I didn't give a copy of the report but I did bullet point the issues.

howtorebuild Sun 16-Aug-15 22:17:52

I would email the EA, then send a copy to the victims buyers.

beardeddragon174 Mon 17-Aug-15 12:00:09

Howtorebuild - if only I knew who the next victims would be!! Poor souls.

beardeddragon174 Mon 17-Aug-15 12:01:19

My main problem now is that due to our bad experience, I am constantly expecting

-our buyers will pull out
-the seller will pull out
-one of the houses, ours or hers, will fall down

Lord save me from my own anxiety!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now