Talk

Advanced search

Help me with my hallway

(11 Posts)
whenhenshaveteeth Sun 16-Aug-15 09:10:20

We're doing up our house for sale, we want the potential buyers to go "wow" and buy it so that we can move out. There's nothing wrong with the house or area but we just want to live somewhere else for our jobs.

Where we live is much cheaper than where we want to live so we've got to be careful with our budget. We don't want to bodge the house but we can't explode the budget either.

Our house is a 5 bed semi-detached Victorian house with lots of original features like stained glass windows, dado rails etc.

When you arrive in the house you see beautiful mosaic victorian tiles but that's only on half the hallway, the other half is carpeted (and minging) and I don't know what to do with it.

First option would be to source original tiles and replace carpet but after talking to a tiler he told me it would be mega bucks.

DH wants to clean the carpet but I'm not keen although I don't know what else to suggest.

From our hallway you can see the stairs, which are also carpeted with same tired carpet, then you see the kitchen at the end of the hallway tiled with expensive travertine and from the hallway you can also go in the living room which is going to be stained wood floor.

What can I do with that other half of hallway so that it still makes a lovely first impression when you come in without bankrupting us??

33goingon64 Sun 16-Aug-15 09:16:35

I would clean carpet. Cheapest solution and sounds like there are enough lovely features to distract buyers from it. If it's beyond cleaning just recarpet with sthg cheap but tasteful.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 16-Aug-15 09:16:35

Throw a rug over the carpet

MrsBertMacklin Sun 16-Aug-15 09:17:37

Any chance of a photo? If you're concerned about privacy, put it on your profile instead of here, open up your profile, then close profile/remove photo after the thread has 'finished'.

Finola1step Sun 16-Aug-15 09:20:38

Try cleaning the carpet first - rent a Rug Doctor. If that doesn't do enough, new carpet.

If someone loves the house, a bit of dodgy carpet will not put them off.

whenhenshaveteeth Sun 16-Aug-15 09:31:04

Thanks everyone.

Will try to post a pic in a bit.

Forgot to say that the tiler I spoke to also said we could look at flotex Lino or karndean flooring. I'm worried we won't find the perfect match however and that it might look naff.

I then thought we could take up the original tiles, sell them and replace the whole thing with flotex or similar but it seems like such a crime!

Last thing I thought of but probably a bit mad is to buy original like tiles and have a go at tiling myself as it seems the most expensive but would be the labour.

justabigdisco Sun 16-Aug-15 09:33:58

There is no way I'd bother with all that just to sell. Clean carpet, get on market.

whenhenshaveteeth Sun 16-Aug-15 09:45:55

Ok, this is interesting that most of you think like DH.

MrsBert, I'm being dim and can't see how I can attach a pic on my profile

whenhenshaveteeth Sun 16-Aug-15 10:49:48

Ok, I think a posted a pic on my profile.

Bear in mind it's pretty grubby at the moment as we've had builders traipsing in and out of the kitchen. Not to mention DS being potty trained and the cat (she really should know better after 7 years!!!).

Go for it, imagine you're Sarah beany, I want to be told! Thanks!

desperatelyseekingamovingdate Sun 16-Aug-15 11:00:25

Rug doctor the carpet - honestly its amazing, do it loads of times and you will be surprised what it can clean. Then just get the agents to rush the viewers through!

I have done a few places up for sale and one of the last ones we re did the carpet in the lounge. The carpet fitter said that he has done loads of places where people have recarpeted in preparation for a sale and then been back in 6 months to redo the carpets for the new owners as people like to put their own stamp on the property. I don't think anyone will care unless their are mushrooms growing from it or the smell of wet dog makes you want to vom as you enter the property and a rug doctor would probably solve that anyway!

You need to give the new people something to do and your house sounds amazing. Hall carpets always get trashed when people move in anyway

whenhenshaveteeth Mon 17-Aug-15 09:53:35

Thank you! I'll show this to DH and look into the rug doctor

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now