Talk

Advanced search

Where to place Skylights

(4 Posts)
MiniBK Sat 15-Aug-15 12:31:13

We are building a 6m x 5m extension to the rear of our house, which is north facing. We are planning to have a kitchen running along the 6m left wall, with a Hob in an island in the middle and dining table on the right side. At the end of the extension we plan to have french doors of approx 3m width and 2m in height, opening into the garden.
We want to know, where best to position any skylights, as 50 % of the new area will be in the shade of the house. Is there any benefit if we position them in the shaded area, or is this a waste of money? Or should they be put nearer the end of the extension, which gets more of the sunlight, but will this bring light into the darker area?
Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated, we are really confused confused

lalalonglegs Sat 15-Aug-15 14:01:50

You will still get plenty of light even if they are placed in an area that falls within the shadow. I personally prefer a slightly muted level of light, I have seen far too many houses which are "flooded" with daylight and I find myself squinting in some rooms and really uncomfortable.

TheUnwillingNarcheska Sat 15-Aug-15 14:08:27

We have a teeny kitchen extension 3.2m x 3m and we have one single 1m square skylight smack bang in the middle of it.

Our kitchen is north facing.

It floods in light which is fantastic, once the sun comes round you have a very focused square of sunlight.

The thing we had take into consideration was how far out the wall units came and where the lighting would go. Obviously your extension is much bigger but this is still worth consideration. Then we could work how large a skylight we could have.

Does that help at all?

MiniBK Sat 15-Aug-15 21:13:13

Thanks for your replies.

We have decided to go with 2 Velux flat roof domed windows, each one will be 150cm x150 cm. They will be positioned in the middle of the extension and sit one in front of the other, starting one metre away from the house, with a metre gap in between and then leaving 1 metre at the end

Has anyone used this type of skylight and what are the pros and cons?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now