Talk

Advanced search

Anyone have electric gates?

(7 Posts)
SnoopySassySue Wed 12-Aug-15 20:29:05

We bought a house last year and it has electric gates at the entrance (name is faac). Since we moved in we have had them fixed three times, so once every three months or so. First there were problems with the buzzer, then they kept bouncing and not shutting, then they wouldn't shut at all. Each time it has got more expensive to fix...today it was £200 for call out and small replacement part. Is this normal? Need them as we are on a busy road and have three little ones...but are they just a money pit and do you need to service very regularly? Thanks

BitterChocolate Wed 12-Aug-15 20:35:28

I live on a gated road and our resident's association has an annual contract with the gate service company. I'm not sure of the exact details but I think it covers a certain number of call-outs and some parts. It means that they are more likely to do a proper fix because they know they will be called out again if they just patch it up. They do have to come out several times (maybe 5 or 6 times) a year, but there are 9 houses on the road so the gates get used a lot. My Mum has had electric gates for a year or so and they haven't broken down at all, but then they are still quite new and she hardly uses them (no school run or work and just her in the house).

BitterChocolate Wed 12-Aug-15 20:37:10

Oh, and it's not a proper sample size or anything, but among the people I know who have electric gates the type that trundles sideways along a track seems to break down less than the more traditional swing type.

thejoysofboys Wed 12-Aug-15 20:38:35

Sounds familiar!
We've lived in our house for 3 years and have electric gates (fitted when the house was built 20 yes ago).
We're the same in that they're the only thing that stop the kids escaping into the road and also we're in a secluded spot so the security aspect is important to me when DH works away.
They've been broken more times than I can think of.
Our cheap gates repair man is v unreliable and hasn't turned up on the last 3 months (gates have been out of action since April). The reputable local company won't touch the gates unless we get a whole new mechanism for around £2k!
I'd be interested to know if anyone with new-ish gates has less trouble as I'm loathe to spend that kind of money if we don't have to.

BitterChocolate Wed 12-Aug-15 20:47:57

Although, just as a warning, my MIL lost the tip of her finger in a freak (and foolish) accident with her trundle-sideways electric gate. Her DC had bought her an electric gate following a freak (and foolish) accident where she ran herself over and broke her leg with her own car after getting out to open her old, manual gate. hmm

SnoopySassySue Thu 13-Aug-15 12:34:09

Thank you for the comments. We have swing gates so that is interesting to know...oh well, off to look for a maintenance contract smile

swisscheesetony Thu 13-Aug-15 12:38:58

Wd40 saved me thousands. And a hammer!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now