Bamboo worktops

(7 Posts)
Babypythagorus Wed 12-Aug-15 19:22:18

They're about a third of the cost of oak... Any experiences?

Thanks all

sparklyDMs Wed 12-Aug-15 19:30:58

Yes, had them for 8 years - hard wearing and look as nice as wood.
You need to sand lightly and oil every few months and never leave them with water sitting on them.
I've had a bit of a burn mark on one where a pan was left overnight when it was wet on the bottom.
However, we can put hot pans straight on them without causing any harm.
I've not regretted them.
The company I bought from sent out a sample piece and I spent a few weeks trying to damage it before committing!

Babypythagorus Wed 12-Aug-15 20:32:56

Love the thought of you bashing up a sample!

The shop lady told me you didn't need to be as careful with water - that was one of the things that appealed! Can you wipe and leave it or do you need to dry it?

TalkinPeace Wed 12-Aug-15 21:22:31

had mine for 7 years
I've oiled them once in that time !

every morning they are wiped down with a j cloth
once a week I rub olive oil into the bits round the sink

they have dents and dings and scratches and scorch marks and I love them

pic on my profile

SmellTheGlove Thu 13-Aug-15 09:35:07

I have bamboo effect laminate which us even more robust! I thought it looked much more 'real' than wood effect laminate, and couldn't face the upkeep of real wood even though it is beautiful. It's from Homebase.

Qwebec Thu 13-Aug-15 16:46:44

I have a friend who has a kitchen for teaching and got bamboo worktops. He is very satisfied about it's durability. But over the dishwasher and around the built in stove the bamboo has slightly split because of the heat.

TalkinPeace Thu 13-Aug-15 16:52:57

Qwebec
We got the thick silver insulating foil to put between the dishwasher and the worktop (and the washing machine) and its worked fine.

Not sure how it could split though as its 4cm thick and the layers aer set in different directions.

smellthe
I love the fact that before I sell this house I'll get the whole worktop sanded and oiled and pretend its new wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now