Talk

Advanced search

How can I protect my skylight from magpies?

(7 Posts)
BitterChocolate Wed 12-Aug-15 15:21:15

I have a skylight above my hall that follows the line of my pitched roof. The magpies like to sit on the apex and peck at the stuff (caulk?) that seals the outside of the join with the glass. This means that it leaks when it's raining and the wind is in the wrong direction, not much but enough to be annoying. It's also quite noisy when they are up there as they clatter around (usually when I'm have a rare lie in).

Is there anything I can do to protect the skylight or to keep them away completely?

lalalonglegs Wed 12-Aug-15 15:25:04

I used bird spikes like these when I had a similar problem. I can't quite picture what you are describing though so I don't know how suitable they would be.

BitterChocolate Wed 12-Aug-15 15:25:07

Here is a photo, from the ground floor. I've tried throwing stuff from the inside to scare them off, but it's too high for me.

wowfudge Wed 12-Aug-15 15:25:54

You can have spikes installed so they can't land/sit there. Have them done when the mortar or whatever it is being replaced. Look up bird deterrents. You can hardly see the spikes btw.

BitterChocolate Wed 12-Aug-15 15:27:58

The spikes might work, thanks lala. I'll show them to my builder the next time he's in.

BitterChocolate Wed 12-Aug-15 15:29:43

I think it's a wood frame up there and it looks quite narrow, but if it's wide enough for magpies to dance on then I'm sure it's wide enough to to nail on the spikes.

wowfudge Wed 12-Aug-15 15:36:23

Spikes can be glued on - you could contact a pest controller for advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now