Talk

Advanced search

hearth for a multi fuel stove

(9 Posts)
ScoopyDoo Wed 12-Aug-15 10:47:52

I am removing the existing hearth in order to widen out the chimney breast to make room for a woodburner. There is a concrete floor underneath, and carpet in the room.
I was thinking of laying a slate hearth - first quote for this has come out at around £300 for a single slate slab cut to fit (t-shape). This is to supply, not fit although I understand if I get the measurements right fitting is straightforward.
It is quite a large area, and I will get more quotes, but wondered if any wise people out there have done similar and if so, could share tips and/or potential suppliers?
I think I would prefer a single piece rather than tiles, but am open to options.

PlainHunting Wed 12-Aug-15 13:22:15

We used slate but 4 massive tiles cut to shape rather than one piece. Looks nice. £300 seems reasonable ime.

MadrigalElectromotive Wed 12-Aug-15 13:39:26

I think that sounds about right. We have just done the same, although we chose granite in the end, which came to just under £400.

HollyMaingate Wed 12-Aug-15 13:46:21

I did the same a few months ago, single piece of natural slate in a T rather than separate pieces. Looks brilliant. Fitting was straightforward, laid on big dollops of fire grade silicone

HollyMaingate Wed 12-Aug-15 13:46:36

Also about £300

ScoopyDoo Wed 12-Aug-15 14:06:22

Thank you both. Holly, would you mind sharing details of your supplier, if you were happy with them, so I can compare quotes?
Can I also ask what thickness you have. I can't quite visualise how the carpet will butt onto the hearth unless it is quite thick, or raised.

HollyMaingate Wed 12-Aug-15 14:32:12

Of course, it was a chap called Jason Cutts, excellent service and threw in the silicone and slate oil. His website is

www.facebook.com/custom.slate.hearths
jasoncutts@btconnect.com

Just looked up the email and I paid £210 + £90 for delivery. It was approximately 30mm thick (varies throughout as it's natural riven slate, and the size was 1350mm (large part of T) 920mm (narrow part of T inside the fireplace) x 900mm

HollyMaingate Wed 12-Aug-15 14:36:14

Oops no Custom Slate is who I got a quote from and didn't use. Jason is who i did use (and use again when I dropped and smashed the first one he'd delivered)

ScoopyDoo Wed 12-Aug-15 14:56:33

Again, really helpful. Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now