Talk

Advanced search

Northwich?

(8 Posts)
Cameltits Tue 11-Aug-15 18:03:49

Hi all. wondering if anyone has any experience of living in Northwich? (or just outside?) what's it like? also, my husband works in Manchester, would the commute be manageable? Thanks in advance!

wowfudge Wed 12-Aug-15 22:10:24

My initial reaction is that the commute would be horrendous unless he set out at about 6am if driving. It is horrendously busy getting into the city centre from anywhere south of it by road.

The faster train takes about an hour - the latest you could leave it for a 9am start would be 7.30. I don't know how reliable it is or the likelihood of getting a seat. Going home there's one train an hour after 6pm.

Doable but not brilliant.

Cameltits Wed 12-Aug-15 22:27:34

Oh dear....doesn't sound too good, although he would aim to leave by 6.15am every day so maybe that'll be easier. ...hmmmm

TheMightyMing Wed 12-Aug-15 22:30:28

Not a commute I would fancy, I don't have to touch the motorways to get to work and when I had to drop my son off for his prom ( quite close to Northwich) I was horrified at the traffic on the motorway.

TheMightyMing Wed 12-Aug-15 22:31:55

The train is the one which goes from Chester I think through Altrincham and Stockport, quite a few stops en route.

RaspberryBlonde Thu 13-Aug-15 05:58:52

A family member used to do this commute by car, as other posters have said, they used to leave very early in the mornings! It will depend exactly where in Manchester you need to be. The train used to be a bit unreliable, not sure if it's better these days but is very slow given the distances involved.

It's not a bad area although the newish one way system around the Northwich town centre is pretty tortuous. There are some fairly nice villages nearby and you have nice countryside very close if you like walking etc. Big enough to have most things you need and is generally now smart ending up a bit. I grew up around there and would say it's definitely improved since then! But, depends how much time your DH is prepared to spend commuting.

paxtecum Thu 13-Aug-15 06:01:19

Beware of subsidence due to the salt extractions.

Cameltits Thu 13-Aug-15 13:28:05

Thank you all for your help, given me lots to think about!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now