Talk

Advanced search

Help! Urgent decorating advice!

(9 Posts)
Gozogozo Tue 11-Aug-15 15:35:22

DSis just bought new house & a decorator is on his way to quote...anaglypta style paper needs repaintING. Should she strip paper & reline 2 layers of lining paper to paint over (horizontal lining then vertical) OR single layer of lining paper horizontal? Thick or thin gauge?

TIA for any words of experience smile

ptumbi Tue 11-Aug-15 15:37:58

Anaglypta? grin Oh no!

I'd strip back to walls, wash and repaper with at least one layer of thick (1000gauge) lining paper, then paint.

No need to reline, certainly not horizontally. No-one does that any more, it's hell.

WhatKatyDidnt Tue 11-Aug-15 15:39:30

Ask the decorator his/her opinion, but I would strip then do one layer of thick lining paper.

Hoviscats Tue 11-Aug-15 15:42:27

Depending on how long she plans to stay and her budget I would seriously consider just stripping and replastering... would pay off in the long term as no need for lining paper and a lot less hassle to repaint!

wowfudge Tue 11-Aug-15 15:47:34

I'd only re-plaster if necessary. Creates a hell of a mess. Professionally hung lining paper gives a great surface for painting.

PigletJohn Tue 11-Aug-15 16:00:09

Are you sure it is Anaglypta? Could it be foamed or embossed vinyl?

Paper that has been painted is an absolute pig to remove.

ptumbi Tue 11-Aug-15 16:31:17

That's true, piglet. You will need to scratch the surface like mad, then steam. It comes off in 2 layers, top and the paper bit - steamer for both!

Gozogozo Tue 11-Aug-15 18:54:59

Thank you all.

Decorator has been, his opinion is that it is embossed painted vinyl & steam, strip & line with thick lining paper & paint on that will be best.

Thank you all for your timely help smile

PigletJohn Tue 11-Aug-15 20:55:02

vinyl will usually strip off without steam.

I've had a pro decorator put up thick lining paper horizontally and emulsion it in an old house, he was very quick. He did fill and sand blemishes, but not to such a high standard that you could just paint the plaster, which is very slow and painstaking. I specified matt vinyl emulsion, which is very forgiving of irregularities in the surface, and can be lightly sponged of marks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now