Talk

Advanced search

Moving to North Berwick

(23 Posts)
Margot11 Tue 11-Aug-15 13:53:12

Hi there, I am considering moving to North Berwick. I am sick of being couped up in Edinburgh city every day - the sea is calling me. Does anyone have any tips on North Berwick?

Cuttysarky Sat 12-Sep-15 13:22:44

It's a great idea! Moved to NB a few months ago from Edinburgh and it's been a good move especially for the kids, and Edinburgh is only half an hour away on the train.

AgentProvocateur Sat 12-Sep-15 13:38:09

You might get more replies in Scotsnet.

I think it's great idea (I spent many holidays there) but when your. DC are older, they might be limited. I'm not sure when the last train back from Edinburgh is now, but years ago it was relatively early - before gigs, cinema etc finished

PettsWoodParadise Sat 12-Sep-15 20:07:20

My mother grew up in St Abbs and I've done lots of walks from Berwick to St Abbs. If I didn't have my life in the South so much I would move to Coldingham or Berwick in a shot. St Abbs maybe just a tad too quiet hence Coldingham would be my first choice, but St Abbs is sooooo beautiful. I am jealous, that part of the country is so beautiful.

Cirsium Sat 12-Sep-15 20:11:16

Lovely area, lots to do with kids, great schools, nice countryside and Edinburgh in easy reach. I've lived in villages near NB for 4 years after being in Edinburgh for 16 years.

cashewnutty Sun 13-Sep-15 20:57:03

Pettswood I think you are mixing up Berwick on Tweed and North Berwick.

OP we used to have a caravan in North Berwick and we loved going there. It is a great town. I think it is fairly expensive but i am sure it will be cheaper than Edinburgh.

PettsWoodParadise Sun 13-Sep-15 20:59:50

Yes I am! Sorry for any confusion. I saw Edinburgh and Berwick and have fond memories of Perrymans bus that used to wend is way (slowly and about 90 minutes) between the two so ignored the Berwick North part.

KathyBeale Sun 13-Sep-15 21:08:09

I have nothing useful to add but I LOVE North Berwick. I'm a writer and I even wrote it into one of my books, and I am often found looking for NB properties on Rightmove. Please post any and all houses that you see on here so I can look at them!

Katie45 Mon 14-Sep-15 08:26:17

Go for it!! We moved to North Berwick 8 years ago and I can hand on heart say that I will never live any where else. How can you not love being by the sea - I still pinch myself that I have such beauty on my doorstep!
My kids will never appreciate how lucky they are to be able to do school activities such as sailing, wakeboarding and surfing and their knowledge of the sea and its creatures are vast due to the wonderful seabird centre.
The schools are great also and have a very good reputation. Infact the high school was in Tatler top ten non-fee paying schools in the UK.
House wise, you can't really go wrong. Everywhere in North Berwick is 10 mins away max from where you want to go. I would avoid the Cala newbuilds beside the school though as you will struggle to get your money back on these houses within the next 10 years as they continue to churn out more of the same also this estate is not popular with the locals as it built on our lovely fields. Family friendly estates are Ben Sayers Park, Rhodes Park and Stair Park all of which have safe cul-de-sacs for children playing. Ben Sayers Park also boasts a path to the beach and it's my aspirational estate!(one day.....)
From North Berwick it is just a 30 mins beautiful journey on the train and infact I can get into work in Edinburgh quicker than my friend who lives in Morningside!
I honestly can't recommend enough. Good luck! xx

KathyBeale Mon 14-Sep-15 09:09:10

No pressure, but I've found a house for you...

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53592281.html

Tinfoiled Mon 14-Sep-15 09:18:12

Oh god I am so jealous of those if you who live in this beautiful town and in fact in this beautiful area of Scotland. I'm a displaced scot (living in West Yorkshire about as far from the sea as you can get!) and would love to live in North Berwick. I have nothing to add but my endless envy.....envywink

Desperatemummy1 Mon 14-Sep-15 20:46:49

I live in a neighbouring village to North Berwick, slightly closer to Edinburgh. East lothian is a lovely county especially as we work in Edinburgh and commute back and forth and offers a good work life balance, the last train from edinburgh is my only bugbear being from London! Taxis take ages and are quite costly. My children attend a good school and the extra curricular activities are excellent. Being on the coast also brings so many opportunities. Good luck house hunting

MarthasHarbour Mon 14-Sep-15 20:52:12

The single only solitary place i would ever live if i lived in Scotland would be North Berwick. I had lots of holidays there as a child and i have been back recently and i just love it!

<KathyBeale if you are who i think you are then i lurve your books and one of them is my all time favourite! smile >

AgentProvocateur Mon 14-Sep-15 21:30:17

I'm also wondering if KathyBeale is who I think she might be...

KathyBeale Tue 15-Sep-15 05:33:40

Really?! How exciting! Though I doubt it - I'm not a well-known writer! I'm just getting started...

AgentProvocateur Tue 15-Sep-15 06:22:01

Ah, so you're not Maggie O'Farrell, then? wink Good luck with your writing career, anyway.

littledafty Tue 15-Sep-15 06:42:03

I grew up there, still got family living there. In our opinion it's been totally ruined by the over development, not the town we used to know and love. But if you didn't know it before I'm sure you'll love it. I'm just always so disappointed when I go back.

KathyBeale Tue 15-Sep-15 11:56:50

Oh man, no! I wish!

Though I should totally have blagged that, shouldn't I?

MarthasHarbour Fri 18-Sep-15 13:07:40

Hehe AgentProvocateur that is exactly who i thought! wink though i doubt MO'F would be that obvious on MN (as i am sure she said in her webchat she is a MNer - waves to Maggie!)

KathyBeale you sooo missed a trick there <although i would be happy to read your book if you want to PM me the details - i am bookless and fed up of searching for the one! but totally understand if you want to remain anonymous)

cedricsneer Tue 22-Sep-15 14:14:19

Could anyone tell me about n. Berwick high. We could squeeze private school in edinburgh (where we are now) for secondary but the freedom that not doing that would afford us would be amazing.

How does it compare to, for eg. The edinburgh academy. I know they are apples and pears, but for the purpose of my very dithering research id love a really honest appraisal. Thanks!

cedricsneer Tue 22-Sep-15 14:14:52

Sorry for total punctuation fail! Missing about 3 question marks.

Cirsium Mon 28-Sep-15 11:00:23

No personal knowledge of NB High school but it did very well in performance tables, up there with private schools. I have met a lot of the teenagers who go there through volunteering alongside them at a local charity and they have all been lovely, well mannered and most do very well in exams.

user1491215980 Mon 03-Apr-17 11:45:56

Hi there,

My partner and I are thinking of moving to North Berwick soon to start our family in a couple of years. Only issue is we both work in the city centre, does anyone know roughly the yearly/monthly cost of the commute to Waverley? Thanks x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now