Talk

Advanced search

Solution for underside of stairs protruding in kitchen diner?

(5 Posts)
MitchieMcDonald Tue 11-Aug-15 12:10:41

Hi,
We're renovating the kitchen diner of our Edwardian house, and the underside of the top of the staircase turning protrudes into the corner of the dining room ceiling. Previously this had been over-generously boxed in, so we removed that (see the picture) but we're a bit stuck on ideas for how best to deal with this. Has anyone experience of dealing with this problem, or any ideas on how to make it look aesthetically pleasing? we were thinking of putting shelves below. Many thanks! smile

lalalonglegs Tue 11-Aug-15 13:15:13

Yeah, I'd go with shelving or boxing it in again to create a large cupboard (perhaps stick washing machine etc in there if you don't have utility room), you need to hide the meter more than stairs, imo. I would say that once the walls have been rendered/ceiling replaced and the underside of the stairs are recovered and painted, they won't be that noticeable. I know lots of people who haven't done anything with them, they just have a white block sticking down at one end of their kitchen. It really isn't that obtrusive.

PigletJohn Tue 11-Aug-15 13:18:16

I can't see the scale, but now I have rotated it, I think you should box it in with two layers of plasterboard, and pack the space with dense mineral wool batts to deaden noise, after treating the timber against woodworm.

The plasterboard is to delay fire, as well as cutting noise. I see you have L&P so you may as well pull it down before it falls down and board and skim the whole ceiling.

It would be nice to have removable panels for the cables and possibly pipes.

You could put a tall pantry unit under it, positioned so the lump doesn't show, or tall ffreezer plus top box.

I can't tell the ceiling height.

MitchieMcDonald Tue 11-Aug-15 17:47:31

Thank you both for your insightful and helpful advice - your views confirm our thoughts, and we shall proceed like that - probably with shelves smile smile

bowsaw Wed 12-Aug-15 11:38:14

box in and get some nice cold stone in there and have a old fashioned pantry/larder

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now