Talk

Advanced search

Our new London flat mate (rodenty)

(12 Posts)
knittingbat Mon 10-Aug-15 22:30:14

Any Londoners have tips on dealing with mice? Usual old London terrace story... What are the best traps to use? DH currently freaking out/sitting on top of the wardrobe and getting pissed off because I am a) not there and b) laughing.

Much as I know it's the best solution, we can't get a cat, as might leave UK in next two years. So... Traps?

purplemurple1 Mon 10-Aug-15 22:37:31

We just use the old fashioned sort but need to ne careful to set them correctly.
The sticky pad ones are easier to set but you then need to kill what you've caught.

knittingbat Mon 10-Aug-15 23:12:41

Yes, that's what I suspected. Can't bear to do the sticky ones! Thanks.

PigletJohn Mon 10-Aug-15 23:16:40

I prefer poison. You need to have lots of little baits (I use red plastic saucers intended for the smallest size of flowerpot, and easily seen) placed behind and under kitchen units and appliances, and inside all cabinets on every shelf. Examine them frequently and refill when emptied. When they stay full, the rodents have gone. Large tubs of rat bait are cheaper than little packets of mouse bait, and are the same thing.

If you have small children, they will be unable to lift your cooker or fridge out of the way to eat the bait you have placed behind and underneath. Your undersink cupboard, full of bleach and aerosols, is presumably locked, but rodents can get into it.

As you are in a terraces, also place baits in the loft, under the stairs, in the cellar or under floorboards, and around any room where people eat chocolate, biscuits or crisps. Put the baits against walls and under furniture.

You already know about cleaning out your cupboards, the kitchen and diningroom floor, and any spilled petfood. Store cornflakes, flour, biscuits, crisdps, bread etc in biscuit tins. Examine your electrical cables and flexes for gnawing of insulation, which can be expensive to renew and protect with metal conduit.

Glue traps are revolting and cruel.

CointreauVersial Mon 10-Aug-15 23:33:54

Sorexa D is a good poison, saw off our infestation.

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Mon 10-Aug-15 23:45:21

talk to the neighbours about them sorting the problem out there too - mice don't really understand our boundaries, and there's no point filling your house with poison if next door doesn't

grumbleina Tue 11-Aug-15 09:43:16

A word of caution about poison! Maybe unlikely given that you have this problem in the first place, but please do check with your neighbours whether they have cats before laying poison. Once poisoned, the critters have time to travel before expiring, and thus may end up outside your house and, being ill, will be easier to catch than usual. It's fairly common for a cat to catch and gnaw a poisoned mouse or rat and be poisoned in turn. At the very least it'd be good for any cat owning neighbours to know you're doing it, as there is an antidote for cats, if the poisoning is caught quickly, and then they can be on the lookout just in case.

knittingbat Tue 11-Aug-15 16:20:53

Yes near neighbours have lots of cats (may borrow one for a bit!!) and also toddler is able to get in seemingly almost anywhere so nervous about poison right now, although agree it is probably best long term solution (husband sadly not in agreement that LET'S GET A CAT is obvious solution). House on one side has been empty for nine months, could be ideal haven for them.

Thanks all.

grumbleina Tue 11-Aug-15 18:23:51

Oh god yes they're in the empty house. In that case you need the poison to go in there - poison at yours will kill the ones you have but they'll be back.

I was going to suggest borrowing a cat! If the neighbours have a bunch, would they maybe be up for letting one or two visit? A cats presence in the house is a great deterrent - even just the smell of them seems to send mice packing.

Boosiehs Tue 11-Aug-15 18:27:18

Poison. Only thing that works. vice of bitter rodenty experience

purplemurple1 Wed 12-Aug-15 21:30:25

Given you can't use poison (similar reasons to us) I'd go with the old fashioned spring type and maybe you tube how to set them correctly. Carrots are good bait.
We just chuck them in the garden waste bin after checking they are actually dead.

wowfudge Wed 12-Aug-15 22:12:31

Mice like anything chocolatey in traps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now