Talk

Advanced search

No gap between detached houses - any experience?

(11 Posts)
rsdl Mon 10-Aug-15 13:53:41

We have seen a house we quite like - however, it is marketed as detached and it is technically detached. However there is only at most 6 inches between the end wall of this house and the end wall of the house next door. The house was built in the 1800s and apparently the owner built the next door house for family - albeit this is in a semi rural location so not sure why they would not have left a bigger gap.

My concerns are if we buy the house (which is priced as detached) will this narrow gap put people off on a later sale? It's not our forever house but the one for the ne t five years.

And also, I am not sure whether there might be a problem with repairs at a later point - as you could not fit a person down the gap so I am guessing any wall repairs would need to be done from the inside? Has anyone any similar experience on the repair side? Any views gratefully received - I have done lots of google searches but it appears not to be a common issue!

MrsFrancisUnderwear Mon 10-Aug-15 13:55:36

We used to rent a Victorian house just like that. I thought it was very strange as I hadn't come across it before - but all the houses in the street were the same. I too wondered about the repair issues and anything getting stuck in there (not that I had to worry as we were renting!)

rsdl Mon 10-Aug-15 14:10:20

Thanks mrsfrancis - I do think it's a bit strange - I hadn't seen it before at all - bit concerned we will end up with a very expensive bill if damp arises or anything like that...

angelos02 Mon 10-Aug-15 14:12:44

I must admit I wouldn't count that as detached. usually at least a driveways space on either side.

PosterEh Mon 10-Aug-15 14:14:50

We looked at a house like this and it did put us off. There were other issues too so we didn't really look into it but first impression was definitely negative for the reasons others have mentioned.

StayWithMe Mon 10-Aug-15 14:18:10

I would be worried about rats or rubbish being stuck between the gaps. You'd have to be sure you have something that can clear the rubbish out. I have a gap between my extension and the shared wall and the horrible, yes he is, child next door and his equally horrible parents take delight in shoving rubbish down it.

May09Bump Mon 10-Aug-15 14:19:13

We live in a house like this - we are having damp issues and obviously we can't see the outside. It turned out to be a gutter issue - it was fixed but a pain to get to, as needed to go over the roof.

We can also hear the kids running up and down the stairs - we are not linked in anyway so must be coming through the gap.

Something else to think about - what if the neighbours extend, will it impact your windows / light etc as it's like being a semi?

I personally wouldn't pay a detached premium for this type of house and would prefer a plot around the house next time.

dynevoran Mon 10-Aug-15 14:31:44

Don't do it. Unless in every respect it's amazing. When we bought this house we didn't think much about the 8inch gap between this extension and next door. The we heard noises under the floor in winter. It transpired rats had a hole there and were coming under the floors for warmth. We managed to fill it but it was an absolute pain. Rats are gone but never forgotten. Traumatic doesn't even come into it.

rsdl Mon 10-Aug-15 14:54:19

Thanks everyone - that has given me a lot to think about. The house and garden are otherwise amazing - but that is a worry. Good to hear some real life stories - I hadn't even thought Bout rats - eek!

allwornout0 Mon 10-Aug-15 15:35:05

I think if it's giving you concern and worry then it will do the same to others of you wanted to resell. I wouldn't do it.

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Mon 10-Aug-15 18:28:40

We owned a house like that for ten years till 2007. It was built in the 1880s, originally one of a row of just four very similar relatively large (3500 sq ft) houses, until the corner house (to the right of ours) was bombed during the Second World War. The bombed house was replaced in the 1950s at which point - for some unknown reason - it was rebuilt much closer than the original property had been.....the other houses had a wide alleyway each side, the alley to the left belonging to each house. The butt-ugly 1950s replacement was instead built with a gap of just a few (6?) inches between it and our house.

The house itself was so amazing there was no way this would have deterred us from purchasing, and during our ownership there were no issues arising from the proximity of next door - we had the house re-roofed and chimneys repointed etc and our builders did have to get permission to erect their scaffolding in next door's front garden but that was all.

When we came to sell our EA felt we'd be better off describing it as a semi - we were making a massive profit anyway (we purchased as four rundown flats and restored it to a family home, plus prices were at their peak) - so we didn't lose out financially imho. We had no problems attracting a buyer and it has since sold again - extremely quickly, although it is in a popular location on the south coast.

Only weird thing was that our cellar led to a (partially blocked off) crawl space that appeared to go under next door. I think this dated from the houses that were on the site prior to ours and the neighbouring houses being built in the 1880s.

I'd buy it back in a heartbeat, but could no longer afford it without a huge mortgage unfortunately......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now