Talk

Advanced search

Skirting board too deep front to back

(7 Posts)
wowfudge Mon 10-Aug-15 11:06:47

Right at the last hurdle of having our bathroom completed, due to the addition of tiles to the wall the piece of skirting board which butts up to the door frame where the door opens is about 1 cm too thick, protruding beyond the architrave and preventing the door from closing.

A piece has been taken off the bottom corner of the door which I am not happy about at all as I wasn't consulted and I don't think it looks right. Even so, the door still catches on the skirting and I don't really want more trimming off the door.

It's pine skirting - I haven't measured it yet, but it's lamb tongue profile and a few centimetres thick at the base. Does anyone know if it can be cut down in depth by a centimetre to overcome the problem without changing the look of it? It will be thin at the top edge, but once it's stuck to the tiles this wouldn't be noticeable.

VelvetGreen Mon 10-Aug-15 11:27:05

If you have tiled to the floor i would just not have skirting. You can finish the bottom with quadrant trim. If i was going to have skirting then i wouldn't tile down to the floor and would fit the skirting to the wall. Obviously it depends a bit on what you have on the floor and how the rest of the room is finished.

wowfudge Mon 10-Aug-15 11:40:31

Thanks for replying. We have not tiled the floor; we have oak effect Polyflor Colonia lvt and we want to have skirting boards. The wall tiling does not go down to the floor, but the skirtings do sit on part of the last course of tiles for a neat finish. We do not want quadrant trim.

VelvetGreen Mon 10-Aug-15 12:16:24

Then you're probably going to end up with a bit of a bodge i'm afraid. I would have fitted skirting to the wall and then tiled above - the lower row is normally cut to fit, and the skirting can be packed out a little if the tiles are deeper than the top of the board. You can cut the skirting back, but it never looks quite right, especially if the skirting in the rest of the room is full thickness.

If it's the sort of skirting i think isn't the top much narrower than the base, so if you're taking off 1cm you would lose most of the top detail? Have a careful measure and see if it is practicable. If i took 1cm off my boards i would lose the whole top moulding.

Fwiw, i do agree that skirting looks better than quadrant with a tiled wall and wood floor.

wowfudge Mon 10-Aug-15 12:36:19

In the whole of the rest of the room, it's not an issue - this piece is actually only about 70cm long and you wouldn't notice if it were thinner because of the positioning of the vanity unit at the other end. It would fit flush with the architrave round the door frame.

There's a timber merchants near work. Their website advertises they can precision cut all sorts of mouldings, skirtings, etc so I'll measure up tonight and take an offcut of the skirting in with me tomorrow to have a chat.

PigletJohn Mon 10-Aug-15 12:37:05

I would think about taking off the bottom one or two rows of tiles, fitting the skirting (you may have to take off some plaster as well) then putting on the skirting, then tiling above the top of the skirting to reach the tiles.

wowfudge Mon 10-Aug-15 13:10:32

That has crossed my mind as a solution too! Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now