Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

any top tips for a properly tiny box bedroom?

(68 Posts)
VolumniaDedlock Sun 09-Aug-15 15:38:30

dd2 is currently in the boxroom which is 8' by 6"6. she's in a toddler bed, but at nearly 5 we're on borrowed time there. Moving/extending not an option.

we've agreed that dd1 (8.5) is going to move into the boxroom, as dd2 has more Big Toys, plus she's served her time in the little room. At first we thought a high sleeper might be the answer, but now I'm worried about how much of the window that would block (annoyingly, the window is big, and tall, and bang in the middle of the narrow back wall), and whether it would dominate such a little room. A midsleeper is now my preferred option, with a clothes rail at the foot of the bed as that would leave no room for a wardrobe. And wall shelves (string shelves or cheapo copy) on the free wall.

Does anyone have any better ideas???

Deux Sun 09-Aug-15 16:29:18

My DCs have had midsleepers and both have started to complain about them around aged 7. DS said that he wanted to just flop onto his bed not have to climb up. DD is 7 and now complaining of the same.

I'm just saying that as the novelty may wear off. Just a thought though I know some children love them for longer.

A friends DD has a similar sized bedroom and they went for a bed with storage under, big drawers. And an ikea pax wardrobe, a tall one that has drawers, baskets and hanging in.

You can put shelves for storage up high, eg above the door. Hooks are good too to get stuff up off the floor.

VolumniaDedlock Sun 09-Aug-15 17:00:04

cheers
pax will not fit in, not with a regular single bed. not unless the window's blocked, anyway. clothes rail is the only option if we're not looking at a high sleeper. we definitely will have a look at beds with storage drawers though.

mandy214 Sun 09-Aug-15 18:30:54

DS has been in a high sleeper since he was about the same age. To be honest I don't see the point of mid sleepers - they don't really add much other than storage which you have anyway in the void under a normal single bed. We bought a wooden frame then customised it to suit the room (ie his has the steps at the end to maximise the space underneath). He has a desk and stool underneath, and a single futon which is quite big. The room is bigger than yours but is a much better use of space than a mid sleeper imo.

VolumniaDedlock Mon 10-Aug-15 10:47:11

cheers Mandy - will keep pondering
v.keen to hear from anyone who's furnished a room this tiny...

allwornout0 Mon 10-Aug-15 11:12:39

I decided to go for fitted furniture in the end in my dd's box room.
She has a single divan base bed with sliding door storage so that I could get more things stored and didn't have to worry about needing extra room to pull draws out.
The fitted furniture goes up to the ceiling and has a triple wardrobe with a large shelf area above the rail and plastic storage drawers on the floor. There is also a storage cupboards above her bed, a small bedside table and a chest of drawers all part of the fitted furniture.
I also added a couple of floating shelves and a small desk with a fold up chair.

HowDdo2You Mon 10-Aug-15 11:15:29

We put sliding doors on a pax wardrobe and best a units up high on the wall.

thedevilsavocado Mon 10-Aug-15 11:22:20

Hi my son's room is the same size and we have the same issue with the window and mid sleeper. I got a slightly narrower single bed from John Lewis. Managed to fit in a wardrobe, toy cupboard, desk and lots of shelves using shelfstore, they have a website. It's not cheap but good quality and you can plan exactly for the space you have.

chubley Mon 10-Aug-15 11:29:45

Look at Thuka beds - these are modular so can be changed over. When buying them years ago I saw high sleepers with wardrobes underneath, such as this: www.bedsinleek.co.uk/high-sleeper/verona-rimini-pine-wooden-high-sleeper-bed-with-corner-wardrobe.html or these (not cheap): rainbow-wood.com/high_sleeper_with_wardrobe.html

The mid-sleeper kit (legs and ladder) taken off DS1's original full size Thuka bed (bought a bunk bed kit and turned it into bunk beds to share with DS2) were added to a shorty bed for DD in the tiny bedroom; she still fits in it at 10 but for how much longer? Thuka beds are a bit longer and wider, being Danish - and very good quality. We did this years ago when the kids were little; for DD we turned the bed to go across the narrow part of the room to allow her more floor space plus room for a book case at the other end next to the door. Wardrobe is in a built-in cupboard where we took the door off.

chubley Mon 10-Aug-15 11:32:19

Sorry meant to say full sized thuka beds no good for that size of room, but just to give you an idea it might be possible to find an alternative high sleeper with wardrobe underneath....

midgeymum2 Mon 10-Aug-15 11:36:50

Could you build a bed in? I'm considering this for our box room although we have a velux window so can just about fit a single width ways. Have seen some nice examples. Then maybe there would be space for some bespoke storage to maximise space. Could you put a wardrobe elsewhere? On a landing, or put a hanging rail in an airing cupboard? I'm going to try and squeeze a small hanging space in but my 2 will have to share the wardrobe in dd1's room. I'm hoping this won't be a problem - only things that hang up are school uniform and party dresses <scruffbag emoticon> time and teenagers will tell!

PrimalLass Mon 10-Aug-15 11:54:30

It would help if you would sketch up a floor plan and post it here.

Flugelpip Mon 10-Aug-15 11:59:18

What about getting a peg rail to run along one wall and some nice hangers so your DD can hang her clothes up without needing a wardrobe? And then have a chest of drawers or two for the things that don't need to be hung up or displayed. How much actual hanging space does she need? I bet it's less than you think! I'd say a normal bed with pull-out drawers underneath would be better than a mid-sleeper too. My DS is in a room that's 7 by 6.6 (but loses 2 feet of the width because of the angle of the stairs) so I've considered this in detail in the past… Think we will get a bed built in eventually over the bit of the stairs that juts out, but at the moment he squeezes in.

Have a look at apartmenttherapy.com, especially their small cool competition for tiny spaces. People are really ingenious and the rooms can look so lovely.

falgelednl Mon 10-Aug-15 12:01:30

Watching with interest. We have a room about the same size but hadn't seriously considered using it as a bedroom. It does have a high window but this is into the bathroom so is at ceiling height. No other natural light. Could we take some of your ideas and use this as a bedroom for DS who is 2 and still in cot in our room?!

grumbleina Mon 10-Aug-15 12:09:46

I know someone who just built a lovely high sleeper for their five year old in a very similar sounding room. Desk and rail underneath, and as many shelves on the walls as they could fit. It does block the window a bit, but because the lower part of the window is clear it doesn't seem to be as much of an issue as you'd think, and almost all of the floor is clear which really helps.

Yes, it can be a pain to climb up, though a lot of kids keep loving them, and also compared to the amount of extra space and light you get, I think it's worth it.

If you or someone you know is handy building your own is great - not expensive and you can design it exactly to your needs.

FishWithABicycle Mon 10-Aug-15 12:13:24

We have a high sleeper (about 1.5m from the floor) with ikea trofast units as stairs leading up to it. The door and window are such that we could do this without blocking the window though.

Somewhat drastic solution, but if you have the money one option I have seen is to get the ceiling removed to incorporate a wedge of the attic into a tall-ceilinged room then have a loft-bed above the height of the window with a ladder up to it. Obviously expensive but could that work for you?

PeterParkerSays Mon 10-Aug-15 12:15:06

Have a look on Pinterest for ideas on this. This sort pf thing or this - using the full width of walls as storage etc.

PerspicaciaTick Mon 10-Aug-15 12:19:23

I have friends who built in a bed frame with cupboards underneath and a hanging space at the end of the bed with a couple of drawers underneath. This gave them the length for a full size bed plus a couple of feet of wardrobe. Then there was a little bit of space for some toy storage boxes and a rug. My friend was very handy with building stuff - but you could probably get a carpenter/joiner to do the job for you.

It worked beautifully but they moved house when their DD turned 10.

meglet Mon 10-Aug-15 12:29:42

is there any way of moving one wall? Our estate has tiny 3rd bed box rooms, no room for a single bed either, several neighbours have moved walls.

Kitella Mon 10-Aug-15 12:37:59

My youngest (8 nearly 9) has the box room (6'5 x 6'11) and we've had to think carefully about space. We can't fit a full sized bed in the width of the room, and if it goes length ways, it takes up the whole of her room. To overcome this we have...

Bought a shorty mid sleeper. This fits width ways in the room, and so does allow room for playing!

Under the mid sleeper we have a six hole storage unit which houses all of her toys.

You can also buy pull out desks. This is attached to the underneath of her bed, so it pulls out for use, but otherwise sits flush under the bed (in front of her storage unit). Built into the desk is a bookcase.

She has got a built in wardrobe (bulkhead over the stairs) which we have put hanging drawers so all her clothes are kept in that.

Shelves over the end of her bed for her nick nacks....

This means all of her stuff fits under / over her bed, and the rest of her room is free for playing in. It has worked for us, but we're going to extend in a few years when she needs to come out of a shorty bed.

Flossieflower01 Mon 10-Aug-15 12:39:41

Dds bedroom is that size. She has a midsleeper which does slightly block the window with a chest of drawers, small set of shelves and a toy storage thing underneath- they are all pushed up to the wall so half the depth of the bed is empty space. She regularly sits under there reading so it's like a den (she hangs dresses along the edge of the bed as a curtain). She also has a small bookcase by the door and a built in wardrobe over the stairs opposite the bed.

She would obviously prefer a bigger room but I think we've used the space as well as we can as the midsleeper gives her more floor space than a single bed with storage underneath would. I don't like the high sleepers as they're a pain to change the bedding on but that would allow for a wardrobe/desk under the bed.

Do check bed measurements- our midsleeper only just fits and we had to look around to get one that would!

absolutelynotfabulous Mon 10-Aug-15 12:44:33

DD has a room this size. She's in a narrow single bed which is in the corner with Trofast units running along the longer wall. Clothes are in the drawers and general stuff on top. No wardrobe, though.

She manages.

VolumniaDedlock Mon 10-Aug-15 12:46:50

thanks for all the ideas - I'll check out all of the links
in lieu of a floor plan, here's a fairly rubbish pic showing how long and low window is. my measurements suggest that the only place for a bed along the wall to the right, leaving really limited options for furniture going along the wall to the left. There'd be about 40cm from the foot of the bed to the front wall, into which i was thinking of squeezing a hanging rail.

HiawathaDidntBotherTooMuch Mon 10-Aug-15 12:48:39

IKEA Stuva wardrobe is quite narrow, but you can have all sorts of configurations with it. Ds2 has it with two small and one deep, large drawers underneath, meaning that it is quite tall, but it holds all his clothes, bedding etc.

starlight2007 Mon 10-Aug-15 12:50:55

My Ds has small room..He had a midsleeper, but found one he was too tall it was wasted space. .He now has an extendable bed from Ikea...However I have plans to do his room into a way to make it more of a room that will grow with him.
I plan to put a high sleeper Ikea basic frame one. A chest of drawers up one end and a Tv ( he doesn't own TV at the mo) a beanbag or gamechair type seat plus bookcase the other to make it like a den... Then a Desk just under the window...Need to figure out a bit more storage though...I am not doing the wardrobe just draws the few things that do need hanging can go in my wardrobe

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now