Talk

Advanced search

Help! Double built under oven with ikea metod kitchen unit

(11 Posts)
lelf79 Sat 08-Aug-15 10:06:58

Has anyone successfully managed to fit a built under double oven in a metod ikea unit?

I had my kitchen all planned but went in store yesterday and was told that double ovens only fit in the high units not the ones under the worktop but i was wondering if anyone had used any clever hacks to make this work <<hopeful>>

Mosling Sat 08-Aug-15 10:57:02

Were the Ikea planners able to offer a solution? There's one at ours who is quite good on hacks, eg told me the base board can be left out of the oven unit and the oven placed on the metal brackets if the oven is big.

It's not just the space, though. You need adequate ventilation and gaps between oven and induction hob (if you have one) or the expensive electronics die of heat failure. Some useful threads on here if you search.

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 09-Aug-15 07:03:50

You can buy an oven that's designed to stand between the two cabinets left and right - but they are designed more for 720mm +150mm plinth cabinet heights ( metod is taller cabinet 800mm if I remember rightly ) - so a small infill may be required either at the top or as a deeper plinth - but it should be possible to do - Google search found me this as an example to show you ...
http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/nc7013021m/aeg-nc7013021m-competence-built-in-electric-oven

lelf79 Sun 09-Aug-15 13:05:00

thanks Mosling, i didn't even think about the ventilation issue. We are going to have a gas hob anyway so hopefully so that should reduce the heat from electrics. The ikea planner i spoke to was most unhelpful, she flat out told me no and that i had to get a single built under oven or use a high unit sad

thanks oneplan, do you mean just attach an infill cut to size to over the space?

i think my OH did something like that for our old flat using the ikea faktum kitchen unit but he used boards to raise the height of the worktop across the adjacent units which worked really well but looked a bit shabby unconventional... i was hoping to have this kitchen look less diy hmm

Girlsbrigadewashorrible Sun 09-Aug-15 14:40:12

Some manufacturers make built under double ovens. The ovens are quite small though (used to have a Neff one). I changed to a single oven and don't miss the separate grill at all.

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 09-Aug-15 17:51:25

Hi - the double oven I was thinking of is generally 720mm talk on a 150mm plinth -as metod is 800mm tall you'd need a small 80mm filler or adjust the feet /plinth of the oven so it's taller . It's still a twin oven or oven and grill -
But it fits between the other units with the worktop and plinth giving it a built in ( although under ) look.

lelf79 Sun 09-Aug-15 21:04:32

Sounds like exactly what we would need, just the normal unit without a drawer and more filler - thanks grin

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 09-Aug-15 21:27:59

No you don't need a unit at all - it sits between the units left and right of the oven. It's a freestanding twin cavity appliance. Then you run the plinth Infront of the legs and the worktop goes over the top with the hob in . So it looks fitted . smile

Procrastinatingpeacock Sun 09-Aug-15 21:35:29

We had exactly this problem when we put our metod kitchen in last year - we just used a normal cupboard unit and reinforced it underneath. Once the plinth was in place you would never have known.

lelf79 Mon 10-Aug-15 22:35:55

that makes sense now sounds better for the budget too, thanks grin

Lau19 Mon 07-Aug-17 15:01:29

I am having the same problem with my kitchen installation! What did you end up doing @lelf79? My concern is that the lower over will be very low to the ground as the Metod plinth is so much smaller now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now