Talk

Advanced search

Door latch low enough for toddler to operate

(14 Posts)
PennilynLott Fri 07-Aug-15 11:48:02

We moved last week and I just realised our door latch is low enough for the toddler to open. From the outside it needs a key but from the inside its a very easy to turn handle.

Should we
- move it higher
- add a extra higher one
- add a non locking extra handle high up
- add a bolt operable from bothsides, toilet door style
- something better I haven't thought of?

I did think a stair gate across the hallway but then couldn't get buggies out.

Simplest is best as we have loads to do (no curtains or cooker yet) and a newborn as well.

Ideas appreciated!

Greywacke Fri 07-Aug-15 12:01:03

What about putting a door chain on? Should be fairly quick to put on.

PennilynLott Fri 07-Aug-15 12:27:18

Ah sorry that was the other thing I was going to say but the baby spat up- DH works nights so it will always need to be operable from both sides.

sanfairyanne Fri 07-Aug-15 12:29:55

bolt on one side of door (dont understand the both sides bit) up at the top

great for general security at night or during the day as well. i've always had one when kids were small. take 2 mins to install

sanfairyanne Fri 07-Aug-15 12:30:57

ah sorry missed the second post! second lock higher up?

Ruhrpott Fri 07-Aug-15 12:35:43

Door chain with key. Can be opened from both sides.

www.amazon.co.uk/CHROME-LOCKING-CHAIN-GUARD-SECURITY/dp/B0038HRPLY

addictedtosugar Fri 07-Aug-15 12:44:03

Ruhrpott which biy goes through the door? Can't work out how that one works??

penni can you use the key to lock the door when you are in as well? I have been known to lock the door from the inside to prev nt a tantruming toddler escaping!

PigletJohn Fri 07-Aug-15 13:00:47

I think you mean wooden door with a nightlatch like an old Yale, is that right?

You can get better versions where the inside knob can be locked with a key. This is to prevent someone reaching in through the letterbox with a simple home-made tool, or breaking a glass panel, to open the door and get in. In your case you could put a key on a cup-hook on the top of the inside frame where it is out of sight of an intruder, and out of reach of a small child. The door can still be unlocked from outside with a key.

Or have you got a plastic door?

Ruhrpott Fri 07-Aug-15 14:10:10

The locks and chain are all on the inside. Nothing on the outside at all. The lock moves/turns so it can face towards the outside allowing someone with a key to put their hand through and open it from the outside. Easy to install, just 6 screws. Wouldn't say it is super secure against someone kicking the door down but enough to keep a toddler in.

LittleMissLady Fri 07-Aug-15 14:13:02

I have this problem. My door was fitted with a little knob inside so you don't need a key to lock it. DH also starts work very very early so my fear is dd will open the door while I sleep!

We put up a baby Dan gate in the hallway. I have a Phil and teds buggy but as the gate is wall mounted it doesn't affect the width of the hallway at all once opened and the p&t goes through very easily!

PennilynLott Fri 07-Aug-15 15:36:58

The door is wooden and the latch does have a key hole in the back of it. This is all new to me - so if i lock that, itll need a key to open again? I will try it as soon as sleeping baby is off me

PigletJohn Fri 07-Aug-15 15:49:10

yes

unless the outdoor cylinder has been changed, e.g. when a key was lost, the same key will fit inside and out.

When moving house you have no idea who has kept a key so you ought to change the locks. Nightlatches (almost always) come in one of two popular sizes. Usually the distance from the edge of the door to the centre of the keyhole is 60mm. Narrow ones, usually found in glazed doors, are 40mm. It is very easy to swap a nightlatch for one of the same size.

PennilynLott Fri 07-Aug-15 16:11:01

Yes we've got changing locks on the to do list, especially as there were lodgers in the house yet the owner has only left two sets of keys. I'll need a special front and back lock barrel then? Piglet john you really do know everything.

PigletJohn Fri 07-Aug-15 17:47:33

look for a British Standard nightlatch. You can't change the inside cylinder, just get a new one.

Wickes own-brand are actually made by ERA, which is an established maker. Yale are overpriced because the name is familiar.

Typical prices are here but DIY sheds and High Street shops will be more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now