Talk

Advanced search

I'm moving in a couple of days and I haven't done anything! Is this OK? Will packing service do everything?!

(11 Posts)
hairtoday1 Mon 03-Aug-15 21:15:37

I've had a bit of a sort out.

But will the packers as part of our removal service literally do everything?

I haven't packed anything at all!

CheeseBaguette Mon 03-Aug-15 21:20:03

You usually need to dismantle furniture that dismantles - like beds for example and in our case a triple wooden wardrobe.

Packing will do the packing and pretty much everything else and do it very quickly too.

We usually sleep on our mattress on the floor for a few nights before the move.

You may want to keep vacume, kettle and cups handy though and take them in the car with you.

Good luck with your move.

onepieceoflollipop Mon 03-Aug-15 21:20:03

They will do everything...but the more they pack the more you will pay. Also you may regret not putting sentimental/urgent/important items to one side, as you will have to search through many boxes (no matter how well labelled) to find stuff.

We had 6 days notice to move. I strongly advise having more of a sort out, then pack a few boxes/bags to go in your car. For example change of clothes for everyone, toiletries, cleaning products, gadgets and charges, jewellery box,

Oh and label a drawer in the house of things to be LEFT such as keys, instruction manuals, guarantees for built in appliances.

onepieceoflollipop Mon 03-Aug-15 21:20:52

We paid to have beds and wardrobes dismantled and reassembled.
We had to disconnect washing machine.

hairtoday1 Mon 03-Aug-15 21:28:43

Thanks all!

I was looking at the bath mat earlier thinking, 'what are they going to do with that?!'

They've said they'll dismantle and re build bed.

What about the bed covers?!

I hate moving.

Am going to check all the other bits you mention.

hairtoday1 Mon 03-Aug-15 21:30:51

The sort out has been fairly thorough.

I've gotten rid of so much food! So many tins and unopened jars and bottles full of curry pastes, sauces etc that went off up to three years ago! blush

HoneyDragon Mon 03-Aug-15 21:35:31

They pack everything except what you need usually the day before, and leave a few boxes behind, then in the morning the removal group pack the remainder. Then load up.

YOUR sole and primary function is to provide endless brews (and ideally biscuits) removals men and women appear to operate entirely on gallons of tea. This can be easily multi tasked with checking your phone every five minutes willing the solicter to call and feeling like your in the way and should be helping.

BananaPie Mon 03-Aug-15 21:36:23

Packers will do everything, so really no need to worry. We lived in our house as normal until the day before.

They will dismantle and reassemble furniture if you have agreed that in the quote. We have also had them connect the washing machine on two occasions, but they messed up both times, so I'd not recommend asking them to do it!

The packing often slightly lacks common sense, if left to their own devices they will pack your damp bathmat (possibly in a box with the loo brush) so you might want to have a quick whip round just before they arrive to rescue anything that you don't want packed.

Get rid of any perishable food as you don't want to be unwrapping the fruit bowl after it's lingered at the bottom of a box for a week....

hairtoday1 Mon 03-Aug-15 21:46:22

Thanks for the tips!
Very helpful

We're doing it all in one day. Moving from a small flat to a slightly less small flat smile

wowfudge Mon 03-Aug-15 21:46:31

Keep the things you don't want packing that you'll maybe take in the car in a specific room or area. Bedding: put the duvet, pillows and sheet in the car and it's easy to make the bed at the other end.

cathcustard Mon 03-Aug-15 21:57:34

Just remember they pack everything; the empty shampoo by the bath, the leaking flour bag in the cupboard, the mouldy apple core in the bin.

It's worth scooting about chucking stuff out the days before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now