Talk

Advanced search

Renovating 3 bed end of terrace - London

(8 Posts)
CaseyE Mon 03-Aug-15 17:16:37

Hi, I am currently trying to put together a budget to modernise a standard three bedroom end of terrace house in SW London while on ML. The house needs a new heating system, kitchen, bathroom ( both which need walls to be removed to make them open plan), full re-writing, perhaps replacement plumbing, carpets ripped out and either wooden floors refurbished or installed, 2 fireplaces replaced and re-plastering. The roof and windows do not require replacing. While I appreciate every house would be different does anyone have a ball park figure on what this would cost? Or what you have recently paid on any of the items listed above?

Also if you would like to put a 3 to 4 meter extension on the back with skylights and folding doors how much is this likely to cost?

Lastly what % of costs generally relate to labour?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

BananaPie Tue 04-Aug-15 01:10:13

£50k plus (not including the extension)

OnePlanOnHouzz Tue 04-Aug-15 07:26:52

Of you allow £8k each for first five things in your list = £40k then £5k for fires /fire places £5k floors, then add £500 for each room to be re plastered ... Then if there's any budget left you extension is going to swallow up another £1300 to £1600 per square meter for your extension that should give you a ball park ...
Most build teams give you a price for the job - rather than splitting it into materials and labour as it's easier to quote that way and the client is then less likely to say 'I'll supply the labour for Xx bit " which, if not done correctly takes longer than their team would do it and could offset the balance and actually cause a delay and put the job back - which will end up loosing the build team money .
Hope that helps !!

Good luck with it all !! Remember you are building a small person too and might need to rest up more as you go along !!!! Thats pretty demanding in itself - without throwing in a team of builders too !!!

MrsFlorrick Tue 04-Aug-15 08:51:49

Given the roof and windows are ok, then budget £1000 per sqm of floor space. This is quite conservative for London. Full renovation costs in London often start at £1,300 sqm.

The extension is likely to cost approx £2000 psqm if it's a kitchen extension with skylight. If not kitchen the a bit less.

Rewire will be expensive. Someone unthread said £8k. I think more like £10k to £12k.

Gozogozo Tue 04-Aug-15 09:28:53

Some of the pricing will vary according to what happens after you have done it up - so if it's to sell on, what is your market, what's the highest price paid on the street, is it worth throwing CAT6 cabling & audio - visual system & other house automation at it, how about extra insulation, heat recovery, solar etc - assuming budget can take it. Or are you looking to just bring it upto date, or will you be living there.

Gozogozo Tue 04-Aug-15 09:36:06

I did all of your above last year in London, 4 bed terrace plus garden landscaping, and it worked out at 1300 per Sq m including finishings so painting & decorating, German kitchen with 3 skylights & bifold doors & burglar alarm, rental elsewhere & storage of all possessions. It was hard work getting it all done in 6 months...

WhatKatyDidnt Tue 04-Aug-15 10:41:32

I would guess at £100k excluding the extension. Builders are busy but get a few quotes and trust your gut re their attitude and approach. It will likely be a massive headache but worth it in the end.

CaseyE Tue 04-Aug-15 19:55:57

Thanks all. This is mostly in line with what I thought. It would be ours to live in for the first couple of years and then then sell. Hubby would love all the automation etc but don't want to over capitalise. Will have to budget for renting somewhere nearby too as I can't imagine bubs and I would be happy with all the dust. We put an offer in today, fingers crossed x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now