Talk

Advanced search

Someone tapping into electricity

(6 Posts)
BearsAndAngels Sun 02-Aug-15 20:41:02

I'm trying to help an elderly neighbour, so bear with me that I might not have all the relevant info! She told me that her power bill was very high (double mine and she in in a 1 bed flat vs my 4 bed house). After getting no help for the supplier she contacted the ombudsman. The ombudsman told her someone is tapping her electricity. It seems the matter has stopped there and she doesn't know what to do next.

I also have no idea - I want to help her. She sits in the dark and won't use the electric cooker because she can't afford it.

She rents the house. What do we need to do?

ThunderboltKid Sun 02-Aug-15 20:59:44

She could go and see her MP (or email/write to him).

I work for an MP and we often have to deal with issues with utility companies/ombudsmen.

Madcats Sun 02-Aug-15 21:52:20

Maybe start by popping into your local Citizens Advice Bureau (assuming that there is still one nearby).

They should be able to give you a few pointers and make sure that your neighbour is getting all the grants and benefits that she might be entitled to.

specialsubject Sun 02-Aug-15 21:55:42

how high did she go with the supplier? Bangalore won't be much use. She needs to raise a formal complaint with the UK office.

perhaps you could contact them on twitter? works more often than you think.

PigletJohn Sun 02-Aug-15 21:57:56

Abstraction of electricity is a criminal offence.

These days it is usually people using grow-lamps for a cannabis plantation. But in a rental it might be the landlord has fiddled the wiring, knowingly or not.

She should contact the police.

I am deeply unimpressed that the supplier is not interested.

PigletJohn Sun 02-Aug-15 22:00:51

here you are

heaps more

It is very well known in the Electricity industry.

If you will divulge the region I might know someone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now