Advanced search

North facing garden

(17 Posts)
18yearsoftrying Sun 02-Aug-15 20:05:07

Can you please share your experiences?

Avoid or go for it?

I'm clueless!

nottheOP Sun 02-Aug-15 20:07:03

It depends how big. We get the sun all day until 7 pm in the summer as it isn't all in the houses shadow.

The room at the back of the house is fairly dull though

18yearsoftrying Sun 02-Aug-15 20:15:18

We're looking at a bungalow but the garden is only 30feet deep x 90feet wide.

Thankyou

nottheOP Sun 02-Aug-15 20:38:22

How close are the neighbouring houses? The fact it is a bungalow should help

Bearbehind Sun 02-Aug-15 20:50:54

Are you serious?

'Only' 30ft by 90ft?

If that's not a typo then- get a grip- that's a fucking huge garden.

rockybalboa Sun 02-Aug-15 21:18:28

We had a house with a tiny north facing garden, never bothered me at all. The sun would move round the garden and we'd just follow it! Evening sun at the end of the garden was nice. We weren't gardeners though if that matters.

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Mon 03-Aug-15 02:28:19

I wouldn't do it. I grew up in a house with a North facing garden. Although the garden was quite big it wasn't very deep. There were always areas of the garden where you could get the sun but never just outside the back door.

Also, unless you want to keep moving your table and chairs around the garden, "following the sun" isn't very practical.

There have been threads in here before about north vs south facing gardens, and the general consensus is that people are reluctant to buy houses with north facing gardens. However, it depends how overshadowed the garden is.

If you really like the property and don't spend much time in the garden, then go for it.

PlainHunting Mon 03-Aug-15 07:01:58

Having moved from a house with a north facing garden to one that is South facing I wouldn't have north facing again, unless very long. I found it very frustrating that I couldn't grow many of my favourite plants and, as pp said having to move yourself/chairs/tables around the garden at certain times of the day to get some sun gets annoying! The only plus was that there was always somewhere to shady to sit with babies when we were at that stage of life.

It does also make it harder to sell. We had a few viewers who got out the compass app on their phone to check and then rejected the house because of the aspect.

Depends how much time you spend in the garden and what you like to do there really.

18yearsoftrying Mon 03-Aug-15 09:05:11

Thankyou for all your productive & helpful input smile

There is a bungalow to the immediate right. A 2 storey house is at the back but the other side of the road.

It is 30 feet deep, 90 wide.

It is a significant downsize as it is predicted I will be in a wheelchair within 5 years. I woont be able to do any gardening as such so I'm thinking I will seriously consider it.

Your advice has made me think it through & I suspect I will only sit outside if the weather is nice (which is less than 50% of the year realistically)

123rd Mon 03-Aug-15 09:11:52

We used to have a north facing garden , and it was fine. Used to have veg pots at the very end other garden and they grew fine. The lounge was always cool in the summer. Had massive patio doors so didn't seem dark. The kids were young so there was always shade for them to play in...having said all that I now have a se facing garden and bloody love it!!smile

Kitella Mon 03-Aug-15 09:35:30

I have a North facing garden (this house and last one) and I like it.

Firstly, when the children were little, there was always shade in the back garden, but the end of the garden always got the sun. So on a hot day, I could sit in the sun all day and keep my children in the shade. The garden never got too hot, which I appreciated, and it always had a decent amount of sun in it in the afternoon which was good.

The other bonus was that a north facing back garden meant a south facing living room (front of the house) so my living room was / is always bright and light. Whereas some of my friends have the south facing garden and therefore a North facing living room and their living rooms are much darker in contrast, despite being in the same style house on the same estate.

But then I'm not a gardener and I prefer the lighter living room, and shadier garden grin.

AGrinWithoutACat Mon 03-Aug-15 20:22:56

We moved this year to a house with a north facing garden, previous owners established a very nice lawn surrounded by mature shrubs and it is very nice.

We have added a couple of benches so we can sit and enjoy the sun in the morning and evening. My herb garden is also establishing itself nicely. My south facing front garden is more of an issue as it is surrounded by larger buildings so gets less sun that the back garden which is not overlooked at all!

Downside, area by backdoor in shade until evening so is a bit of a bleak area but garden is big enough that I can ignore it and keep the bins there.

Plans for next year involve replacing the shed and adding a pergola seating area which will get the sun all day.

Qwebec Mon 03-Aug-15 23:10:21

Just wanted to add, in a shade garden everything grows slower. A minus for avid gardeners, but it also means less maintenance.

Blueskies80 Mon 03-Aug-15 23:27:10

I

Donatellalymanmoss Mon 03-Aug-15 23:52:29

Just a question about the growing plants thing, I assume issues only apply to the part of a garden that gets a lot of shade. If you have a long garden then would most of that be no different to a south facing garden?

Fannyfannakerpants Tue 04-Aug-15 20:33:02

I always said that I wouldn't buy a house with a north-facing garden but we lived in a rented house that had one and it was absolutely fine. We have now just completed on a house with a north-facing garden. There are always parts of the garden that are in sun if needed, and like someone has said, always shade when needed. You do need to think about planting far more but that's not a big problem. Anything that needs full sun just goes in the front.
However, if i'm honest, I don't like a south-facing front room. I'm forever pulling the curtains in the day if I want to sit and watch tv.

minipie Tue 04-Aug-15 21:46:08

I would be more concerned about which way the most important rooms face. Where do you spend most time (eg kitchen) and is that room at the front or the back? where is the main bedroom?

if your most important rooms are at the back then N facing garden probably means those rooms are fairly dark much of the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now