Talk

Advanced search

Would you buy a house near a crematorium?

(6 Posts)
newhousenewhome Fri 31-Jul-15 13:32:32

Dear mumsnetters,
I need your collective wisdom.
I have seen a couple of houses for sale which would be perfect for me and my family.

However, they are about 100 yards away from a "popular" crematorium (the Golders Green one).

I have read that living near a crematorium is as bad for your health as living near an incinerator. Also there could be problems with traffic etc.

What sort of discount would you look for compared to a house far away?

If you know the area I am talking about what do you think?

Thanks for all your.help!

DayLillie Fri 31-Jul-15 15:35:50

Have just googled it and it looks like an amazing place!

I would have thought traffic is likely to be the biggest problems (during open hours).

Polutionwise, I live next to a dual carriageway that it likely to get bigger and noisier in the near future, and would swap that for a crematorium - they are much more regulated.

newhousenewhome Fri 31-Jul-15 15:53:04

Hi Daylillie thanks! I have not viewed it yet as I hate wasting vendors and estate agents' time. I first want to be sure that I would buy a house so close to a crematorium (and a cemetery on the other side of the road)...
Thanks again!

Sgtmajormummy Fri 31-Jul-15 15:54:41

I lived for 5 years with a cemetery/crematorium/municipal park over the back hedge. Four children and one salary meant DF had to compromise.

No bad health effects here, in fact I have wonderful memories of walking to school along the luscious green pathways, playing my recorder and the workmen shouting "'Ello Major, give us a tune!" from shoulder deep underground!

It is/was one of the poshest roads in the town (ours was a fixer upper), so I say go ahead!

MrsLeighHalfpenny Fri 31-Jul-15 15:59:11

I can't think of any reason NOT to live near a crem. The fumes will certainly be filtered, so that no noxious gases/bits of bodies get released into the atmosphere. It's much better than living near a busy road or a big airport, for example.

Cemetaries are great places, and usually very quiet, and full of wildlife. I'd have no objections to living next to a cematary either

DayLillie Fri 31-Jul-15 16:02:34

I would go and view them and hang around the area a bit to get the idea of the traffic.

Then go and visit the gardens - it seems that plenty of interesting people have been cremated there. It is a lot better than your average municipal crematorium.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now