Talk

Advanced search

Is it possible?

(10 Posts)
coffeeisnectar Thu 30-Jul-15 22:37:41

So dp lost the house in his divorce. He will get approx £22k from the sale. I will be getting approx £63k from the sale of my flat. We live in Dorset and can't afford anywhere here.

Dp is due money from insurance from his accident 18 months ago (very serious life threatening injuries not a whiplash type thing) and we are hoping he can get back into work soon but with possibly 85k to 100k (or more) cash can we buy somewhere in Devon or Cornwall. A 2 bed heap is all we need which we can do up but I cannot face seeing all our money go into private rent. I'm 46, dp is 57.

So anyone have any ideas?

wheresmyAga Tue 04-Aug-15 08:14:50

Bumping for you OP - some possibilities here:

3-bed terrace
gorgeous cottage
flat
cheaper terrace
Good luck smile

specialsubject Tue 04-Aug-15 12:21:55

what is employment like in the area, especially for someone nearly 60 with health issues?

not saying you need to live next door to the hospital but do think about it. Speaking from not-London where current plans may give us a 100 mile round trip to a hospital. It wasn't like that when we moved here.

coffeeisnectar Sat 08-Aug-15 21:43:57

Thanks both of you for replying. We are just back from Cornwall and while we didn't get to house hunt we did have some serious talking. We need to rent in this area for a year to let my dd finish her A levels before looking at a move and the point about hospitals and employment is a good one. There aren't masses of jobs available except seasonal work and we will have a good look at what's offered over the winter months.

SweetAndFullOfGrace Sat 08-Aug-15 21:50:31

I assume you would probably want to be near a larger town for both work and healthcare reasons?

There's not a lot in Exeter at that price but I wonder how much this needs?

SweetAndFullOfGrace Sat 08-Aug-15 21:54:16

Or something like this?

Hobbes8 Sat 08-Aug-15 21:56:58

Are you set on the location? I'm thinking South Wales would give you some more options?

coffeeisnectar Sat 08-Aug-15 22:06:01

Definitely set on that location. I love the beach and Cornwall has amazing surfing! Thanks for the links.

KirstyJC Sat 08-Aug-15 22:09:35

Hmm I would be very careful about the Burnthouse Lane one. Not exactly the nicest area. In training about 10 years ago (in Exeter) we were told it was one of the top 10 most deprived areas in England.........there's a reason it is cheap.

Mid Devon / Somerset is a bit cheaper than Exeter around the Tiverton - Taunton area. And near the M5 so quick to big cities. Even then, finding something for less than 100k would be hard. Although there are park homes (ie caravan) which need one of you to be over 55, which your DP is. I have visited people in some of these and actually they are pretty nice. Have you considered that?

Hellionandfriends Sat 08-Aug-15 22:26:25

Monmouthmifgt be a better option what with Cardiff and gloucester ode by

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now