Talk

Advanced search

Converting an outbuilding to a holiday let?

(2 Posts)
FeelingPeaky Wed 29-Jul-15 03:37:27

Hello

I live in the Peak District, in a town which is very popular with tourists in the summer.

We have a detatched cottage about 5 minutes walk from the centre of town. It's just the two of us and a dog, but we are looking to have a little one soon.

We also own a seperate detatched outbuilding at the end of our garden. It's nearly the same size as our house.

This building is currently not used for anything. My partner was going to use it as shared workshop space for her business which she runs from home, but is happy in our much smaller shed. So it is currently not being used for anything.

I want to explore the feasibility of converting this to a holiday let. There are lots of holiday cottages around here of comparable size, and they are very popular.

Has anyone done this? What sort of planning would I need in place? Are there any websites about this, or books, or professional bodies for this industry?

Any guidance appreciated.

FruSirkaOla Wed 29-Jul-15 07:37:33

I'm no expert, but I would guess your first port of call should be to speak to someone in the Planning Department of your local council.

Or do you know anyone in your town who has done a similar conversion?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now