Talk

Advanced search

Shortening table legs.

(6 Posts)
fourflights Tue 28-Jul-15 19:44:55

I am about to do this on some very solid, slightly tapering, wooden legs.

It's not my table and I'm nervous, any tips?

wowfudge Tue 28-Jul-15 21:06:00

Measure twice, cut once. Mark everything out very clearly then check you have everything marked out the same on all legs. Good luck!

Dugongdog73 Wed 29-Jul-15 08:17:03

Makes me think of Paddington bear - perhaps read that story to check what not to do!

HahaHarrie Wed 29-Jul-15 09:14:07

My Mum was always doing stuff like this. She was a dab hand with a saw. It worked out perfectly albeit rather dramatically. Me: "Mum where's the kitchen table gone?" Mum: "Not important, but look do you like the new coffee table?.."

Good luck!

magimedi Wed 29-Jul-15 09:43:38

I had to do this & luckily the legs were detatchable & I took them to a local carpenter's workshop. He took an inch off each leg and charged me £15. Perfectly done, with a huge table type saw (don't know the correct name) & table is now fine.

Would not have risked doing it myself - I know I'd have ended up with a wobble.

fourflights Wed 29-Jul-15 17:41:58

Thanks everyone, I did it. smile It was a very expensive, heavy huge thing, the legs weren't detachable unfortunately, but I had a bit of help.

I'm happy to have a go at anything when it's mine but I get a bit nervous when it belongs to someone else. Used masking tape and 2 different saws, it turned out great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now