Talk

Advanced search

Brackets for kitchen shelves

(5 Posts)
Gusthetheatrecat Tue 28-Jul-15 09:53:36

Just about to do some searching but thought I'd ask the Mumsnet hive mind first. I am looking for some brackets for three open shelves that will be alongside the window in my new kitchen.
We are using reclaimed wood (old scaffolding boards!) for the shelves as I want to add some texture and interest to the kitchen - I don't want something seamless and glossy! I have been searching for something metal, I think, and interesting. Pinterest-ish.
I found these on etsy:
www.etsy.com/uk/listing/176581846/black-iron-shelf-bracket?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=shelf%20bracket&ref=sr_gallery_3
I think they'd work as I have a little black in the light fitting, and my pendant lights are dark grey.
But not sure where else to look or what to search for. Should I go to a reclamation yard or similar?
I am aiming for this kind of effect (hope I have attached an image from Pinterest)
By the way, I posted the other day about pre kitchen nerves. I am now in full blown kitchen obsession. I do not see how I can ever be properly reintegrated into civilised society. I will need to go into kitchen rehab after all this, to try to redevelop some social skills and sense of perspective...

PigletJohn Tue 28-Jul-15 11:47:33

the bracket you show has very little depth, and the leverage of the bracket arm means the weight of the shelf, and anything you put on it, will tend to pull the screws out of the wall.

Traditional L-shaped brackets have the wall arm as long as the shelf arm, which is much stronger

Gusthetheatrecat Tue 28-Jul-15 12:11:28

Hmmm - that is v helpful, thank you!

PrimalLass Tue 28-Jul-15 12:30:55

Have you seen these?

www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/76696009/#/00167472

PigletJohn Tue 28-Jul-15 13:46:10

if you want wooden stuff to look old and rustic, you can rub it with a wire brush (along the grain). This raises the grain as the softer rings are worn away more than the harder ones.

You can do the same thing with a jetwasher, held close, if you have one. In this case it might also warp as it dries. It will also clean cement splashes and paint from old scaffold boards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now