Talk

Advanced search

Electoral Register Help Please

(5 Posts)
Rufus200 Mon 27-Jul-15 12:51:44

I have asked my council to remove me from the electoral register, I am already opted out of the open, they have refused! They have stated that it is a legal requirement that I am on it! I've checked the government website and no where does it say everyone has to be registered. Also how do all the people not registered to vote get away with it then???

Can the council legally refuse to delete me?

specialsubject Mon 27-Jul-15 12:53:24

no, you don't have to be on the electoral register, voting is not compulsory in this country. When the next renewal form comes round, delete yourself.

why you want to opt out of voting is beyond me, but there you go.

opting out of the open register is of course sensible, but coming off it altogether?

Rufus200 Mon 27-Jul-15 13:07:49

I don't want to be called up for Jury duty again!!! Everyone in my family has been called up several times. The register is how they select you. I want to put myself back on just in time for the elections and then take myself back off again.

wowfudge Mon 27-Jul-15 13:44:07

Taking yourself off the electoral roll will cause you all sorts of problems - with your credit rating, with proving your identity, etc. What you suggest is a pretty extreme way of dealing with things. How many times and for how long have you done jury service?

specialsubject Mon 27-Jul-15 13:54:04

'everyone' has been called up 'several times'????

you can be excused jury duty if there are good reasons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now