Talk

Advanced search

Laminate or Lino?

(5 Posts)
nilbyname Mon 27-Jul-15 09:35:16

We need to tart up our bathroom to sell and am looking for cheap effective ways of doing that.

Dh is pretty handy and his dad would help, but is laminate flooring easy to lay and is it suitable for a bathroom?

I need a new floor, a new shower curtain, a console table and a wall unit. Budget is £200. Can chalk paint up some junk store furniture and can repurpose some knick knacks to dress it.

Damnautocorrect Mon 27-Jul-15 09:44:54

I've got Lino that looks like laminate, it's warmer than Laminate and was easier to fit in a small fiddly space, it also worked out cheaper as I didn't have to buy packs of laminate, just the right size of Lino.
I think I got it from onlinecarpets.co.uk

I'd be inclined to raid ikea for the other bits. Although I do love a junk shop chalked item. But you KNOW one trip to idea and it's done. Dunelm is quite good for bathroom bits as well.

nilbyname Mon 27-Jul-15 09:48:22

IKEA is a good shout, thank you.

Our bathroom is quite big, and a sort of l-shape but ease of fitting is very important!

PigletJohn Mon 27-Jul-15 09:54:23

I bet you mean vinyl, not lino.

Vinyl is easy to lay, and soft underfoot. With no joins it resists drips and splashes better than laminate. IMO it is more suitable for a bathroom than for a kitchen, as traffic is light and it is unlikely to be damaged by dropped knives or dragged furniture and appliances.

For neatness, you can use a white silicone in the gap under the skirting and against sanitaryware, which also removes a dirt trap. Leave the vinyl for a couple of weeks to settle before final edge trim and fill. Try to tuck it under the skirting and not have a visible edge.

nilbyname Mon 27-Jul-15 10:01:08

Vinyl, yes! Sounds easy to do, thank you.

Good tip about the silicone as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now